ch-scene - [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: Yard sale, peak oil, secret cafe, ...

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Internationalist Books <ibooks AT internationalistbooks.org>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: Yard sale, peak oil, secret cafe, ...
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 14:33:45 -0400

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin St
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919-942-1740
http://internationalistbooks.org/

*THIS* SATURDAY, JULY 29, 8am - 12pm -- INTERNATIONALIST YARD SALE!!!

Come buy other people's junk (or really great stuff for cheap) at our yard sale this Saturday. 2408 Honeysuckle Rd, Chapel Hill.

AND DONATE! Got stuff? We need it! Bring your donations by the bookstore this week or drop them off Saturday morning at 2408 Honeysuckle Rd, Chapel Hill. Thanks!

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 2, 7pm -- SCREENING 'THE POWER OF COMMUNITY: HOW CUBA
SURVIVED PEAK OIL' @ INTERNATIONALIST

This may not sound like a permaculture video but it is. Permaculturists
came to Cuba and helped with urban farming. So this video is a success
story of how permaculture and organic farming techniques were
implemented to feed a nation. Cuba was suddenly shut off from oil
shipments when the Soviet Union broke up in the early 90s and then the
US implemented an embargo preventing shipments of many goods and
supplies to Cuba. The conventional farming techniques which relied
heavily on oil, chemical fertilizers and pesticides could not continue. The country was forced to adopt and develop new strategies. This film tells their story.

The website describing the video is at www.communitysolution.org/cuba.
The following is a review from the website:
"Everyone who is concerned about Peak Oil needs to see this film. Cuba
survived an energy famine during the 1990s, and how it did so
constitutes one of the most important and hopeful stories of the past
few decades. It is a story not just of individual achievement, but of
the collective mobilization of an entire society to meet an enormous
challenge. Lest the point be missed, I will underscore it: this
particular challenge – the problem of energy scarcity is one we will all
be facing very soon."

SATURDAY, AUG 26 -- SECRET CAFE...

It's still a secret. More info to come...

THURSDAY, SEPT 7 -- MCSWEENEY'S BOOK CLUB

That's still a secret too. More info to come....

THURSDAY, JULY 27, 7:30pm -- "Say No to Jim Crow: Resistance to
Segregation Laws in North Carolina, 1900-1954", a talk by Paul Ortíz

Durham County Main Library Auditorium, 300 N. Roxboro St., Durham
Free and open to the public

Paul Ortíz, an expert on the Jim Crow era in the South, will give a talk
entitled "Say No to Jim Crow: Resistance to Segregation Laws in North
Carolina, 1900-1954" at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, July 27, in the
auditorium of the Main Library, 300 N. Roxboro St. in downtown Durham.
The program is co-sponsored by the Durham County Library's North
Carolina Collection and the Duke University Libraries. Ortíz, an
associate professor at the University of California at Santa Cruz, has
spent the month of July in Durham doing research at Duke's Special
Collections Library for a sequel to the award-winning book Remembering
Jim Crow: African Americans Tell about Life in the Segregated South.
Ortíz will write a chapter for the sequel, which will be a synthesis of
the final fifty years of de jure segregation.

THE PRISON BOOKS COLLECTIVE NEEDS YOUR BOOKS...
FOR OUR BOOKSALE! (AND TO SEND TO PRISONERS!)

The Prison Books Collective will be holding a book sale at the end of
the summer and we need your books! All book donations will be sorted
for content (some books we'll hang on to and ship to prisoners, others
we'll put out for sale). All profits go towards postage for shipping
books to prisoners. We're accepting all sorts of books for the book
sale, but we're also attempting to collect specific genres to send to
prisoners. Most requests we recieve are for world, political, & U.S.
history, self-help/how-to, and black history/lit. Donations of all
kinds can be dropped off at Internationalist Books.

The Prison Books Collective is a new prisoner support group forming in
the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area. Like the dozens of other similar groups
around the country, it will provide thousands of free books, at request,
to prisoners throught the southeast. By providing educational,
political and legal resources, we can support people behind bars, show
solidarity with their struggles, and fight against the alienating and
destructive effects of the US prison system.

But we need your help! We currently have a space to work out of, but
are in need of books and money for shipping. We're also going to need
lots of eager volunteers to help package and mail books. If you would
like to help organize or support this great project please go to
www.prisonbooks.info.

###

  • [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: Yard sale, peak oil, secret cafe, ..., Internationalist Books, 07/24/2006