ch-scene - Re: Syd Barrett Dead

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: bendy <bendy AT duke.edu>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Syd Barrett Dead
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:58:56 -0400

Doug Sutton wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Blair <jerblar AT gmail.com> Subject: Re: Syd Barrett
Dead

I was never influenced by Syd Barrett directly but I was heavily
influenced by post Barrett Pink Floyd

Other than Barrett as a subject matter, pre vs. post Syd seems like a totally clean break to me. To me Piper resembles The Wall as much as "Itchycoo Park" resembles late-70s Rod Stewart.

I really like Piper at the Gates of Dawn, but I think that post-Syd
Pink Floyd is unbearably pretentious and tedious. In fact, they get
my vote as the most overrated artist in Rock history.

Like the Doors, they're annoying because their innovations were done so much better later on. Joy Division wiped the slate clean for depression rock.

"Money" is a song I hope never to hear again, but will probably fail. It's in 7/8 time, did you know that? How is it that they don't get FCC fined for saying "bullshit" on airwaves?

But I don't like Radiohead either.

-Bendy