ch-scene - stuff to do, week of June 22, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of June 22, 2006
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:32:49 -0400

Thursday, June 22
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic), Procession Came
Opposite (http://www.myspace.com/processioncameopposite), The Athenian
Mercury (http://www.myspace.com/theathenianmercury), Doop
(http://www.myspace.com/shutupanddoopit)
Marvell Building, Durham

Thursday, June 22
Roman Candle (http://www.romancandlemusic.com/), The Old Ceremony
(http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a CD release show for Roman Candle, who put out a great debut
album for a small Denver label a few years back, and then found
themselves in the middle of that kind of awkward awful major-label
love-a-thon that results in lots of contracts and no records getting
put out for like three years. Yeesh. Anyway, it's coming out now, and
as far as I know it's more/deeper of their country-inflected (they're
from North Wilkesboro, for chrissake) modern pop.

The Old Ceremony opens, and if you dig on Leonard Cohen fetishists in
their mid-twenties, you'll love 'em.

Thursday, June 22
The Bindlestiff Family Cirkus (http://www.bindlestiff.org/)
The Garage, Winston-Salem

The Bindlestiffs are on summer tour, and they're kicking off their
week in NC with a three-day stand at the Garage in Winston-Salem. In
general, they're like circus, sideshow, and burlesque all thrown
together onto a single stage, although the specific acts vary from
year to year (and venue to venue--not everyplace has the clearance
necessary to rig the trapeze, and I'm not kidding). It's less
90s-vintage Modern Primitive Jim Rose type stuff (though there are
elements of that) and more weird genuine Modern Day Circus People.

Thursday, June 22
Tennis and the Mennonites (http://www.tennisandthemennonites.com),
Y-O-U, Dice Fly High (http://www.diceflyhigh.com/)
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Tennis and the Mennonites should be squeezing out an album pretty much
any day now, so we can finally find out just exactly how nutso Jerstin
Crosby really is. The EP gave us a taste (and that fur-lined
wheelbarrow in his MFA show at UNC kinda already sealed the deal) but
we need more proof.

Friday, June 23
Cities (http://www.citiesmusic.com), Shakermaker
(http://shakermaker.org/), Human Television
(http://www.wearethehumantelevision.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, June 23
Legendary Shack*Shakers (http://www.cockadoodledont.com/), Malamondos
(http://www.malamondos.com/), Willie Heath Neal
(http://www.myspace.com/willieheathneal)
Kings, Raleigh

Saturday, June 24
David Childers and the Modern Don Juans
(http://www.davidchilders.com/Main_Body.shtml), The Gourds
(http://www.thegourds.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, June 24
Ben Davis + The Jetts (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/bendavis.html),
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com), Explorers Club
(http://www.myspace.com/explorersclub)
Kings, Raleigh

Ben Davis and the Jetts (Jetts being folks from Fin Fang Foom,
Fashion Design, My Dear Ella & Kerbloki) is how Ben Davis (Sleepytime
Trio, Milemarker, Bats & Mice) gets his somewhat wistful/mournful
yet-still-Rock (or however rock you can get with a piano *and* a lap
steel) songs out to the public.

Last time I saw Schooner they did a cover of the Cars' "Drive" that
was either payback for, or validation of, all the times people've said
or thought "damn, this Schooner song reminds me of "Drive," by the
Cars." All they gotta do now is hurry up & learn "Eye in the Sky" by
Alan Parsons Project.

Saturday, June 24
Elevator Action (http://www.elevatoractionband.com/), Nathan Asher &
the Infantry (http://www.nathanasher.com/), The Sammies
(http://www.myspace.com/thesammies)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sammies & Elevator Action are both from Charlotte & are both on that
city's Morisen Records. Elevator Action wanna be power-pop-stars, but
I don't think such things exist anymore (do they?). The Sammies' debut
CD sounds like a bunch of rednecks who spent a lot of time listening
to The Cure, which is every bit as weird (and oddly appealing) as you
might imagine.

Nathan Asher's two albums contain about 40 million impassioned words,
which is about 39 million too many. He's like Bruce Springsteen &
Patti Smith on a blind date, doing lots of amphetamines.

Saturday, June 24
Drunk Horse (http://www.drunkhorse.com/), Birds of Avalon
(http://www.myspace.com/birdsofavalon), Thunderlip
(http://www.thunderlip.com/), Colossus
(http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Drunk Horse are from California, and are friends with Birds of Avalon
via the nonstop touring of Cherry Valence, who spawned el B.O.A. via a
split a couple of years ago.

Thunderlip are from Wilmington and they're one of those hardrock bands
(half-joke, all serious) who're blessed with a real live honest-to-god
Frontman.

Saturday, June 24
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/), Black Skies
(http://www.myspace.com/losblackskies)
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Black Skies emerged from the ashes of The Man; they're a heavy power
trio with Cradle door/barman Kevin Clark out front. Blag'ard is the
new thing of Joe Taylor, who was in Capsize 7 way back when.

Sunday, June 25
Michael Holland (http://www.bigjohnsrecords.com), Inspector 22, Joe
Romeo (http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic), Adam Price, Randy
Bickford (http://www.thestrugglers.org)
James C.Wallace Parking Deck Plaza, Chapel Hill

The unstoppable Clarque & Caroline Blomquist (aka Shallow Be Thy Name,
when they're in the mood) put together this free outdoor rockshow.
Here's what Clarque sent along:

"Michael Holland, Adam Price, Randy Bickford, Joe Romeo, Inspector 22,
and David Nahm, suprise guests, a small PA system, several acoustic
guitars, some other doo-dads, The James C. Wallace Parking Deck Plaza
in beautiful downtown Chappy on Rosemary Street, this sunday june 25
6:30pm, Mr.Nahm as official master of ceremonies and yuk-yukeer, FREE,
FREE, FREE SHOW (Schoolkids, Four Corners, and The Chapel Hill
Downtown Partnership were kind enough to sponsor the show (($)) and
the Parks and Recreation
Department folks have been quite supportive as well). The first show
(Manx/Leels) was rained out. We had it at Reservoir and it was a
blast, but hopefully we'll have better luck with the weather this
time. If it rains this sunday we'll have the show at Schoolkids, where
I'll be the guy in the corner alternately pouting and shaking his fist
at the sky."

Sunday, June 25
Lucero (http://www.lucerofamily.net/), Murder By Death
(http://www.murderbydeath.com/), Vedera (http://www.weareveda.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Sunday, June 25
Man Man (http://www.wearemanman.com), The Lovely Feathers
(http://www.thelovelyfeathers.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Man Man are from Philadelphia & they make mesmerizing Tom-Waitsy
creaky carnival rock.

Monday, June 26
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com), Guapo
(http://www.guapo.co.uk/), Zombi (http://www.zombi.us/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Maple Stave are a taut mathy three-piece who're propelled
full-speed-ahead by the flailing elbows of drummer Evan Rowe.

Monday, June 26
The Bindlestiff Family Cirkus (http://www.bindlestiff.org/)
Kings, Raleigh

Bindlestiffs continue their jaunt through NC (they'll be in Greensboro
on Wednesday); they're like proper circus, sideshow, and burlesque all
compressed into a dozen overlapping acts on the stage of yr favorite
rockclub.

Tuesday, June 27
French Kicks (http://www.frenchkicks.com/), Futureheads
(http://www.thefutureheads.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, June 27
The Paper Chase (http://www.thepaperchaseband.com/), Invasion
(http://www.myspace.com/invasionmusic), Piglet
(http://pigletchicago.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, June 27
Boy Eats Drum Machine (http://www.myspace.com/boyeatsdrummachine),
Murdock's Revenge (http://www.myspace.com/murdocksrevenge)
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, June 28
Torch Marauder (http://www.torchmarauder.com), Pearls and Brass
(http://www.pearlsandbrass.com/ )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The Torch Marauder sent around a cryptic email the other day, alerting
us to be on the lookout for "Torch Marauder's Grappling Hook," which I
can only assume is his new all-star vanity metal project, a la Yngwie
Malmsteen's Rising Force.

Thursday, June 29
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com),
Kolyma (http://www.myspace.com/kolyma), The Scholarships
(http://www.myspace.com/thescholarships)
Kings, Raleigh

The Scholarships are from Greensboro, and they include Chris
Clodfelter of Geezer Lake, and Sean Bowles, aka Anderson Airplane.
They are an indie-rock band.

Cantwell Gomez and Jordan make as much music as it is humanly possible
for 3 people to make; they are 100% efficient. They should serve as
model for our new political system, post-revolution.

Kolyma would like to participate in that revolution, preferably with
pitchforks & torches.

Thursday, June 29
Kerbloki (http://www.kerbloki.com/), Red Smokes White
(http://www.myspace.com/redsmokeswhite), Mingus Young
(http://www.mingusyoung.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, June 29
Cities (http://www.citiesmusic.com), Psychic Hearts
(http://www.myspace.com/psychichearts)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Friday, June 30
Ed Crawford
(http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/grandnationalnc/info.html), Don Dixon
(http://www.myspace.com/dondixonsmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Both Don & Ed are performing solo, near as I can tell. Don was a
founding member of the locally legendary Arrogance, who gigged around
the southeast for much of the 70s without ever managing to snag the
elusive brass ring; their soulful southern folk/rock/pop (on record;
live, they were more of a rockband) was never quite in the right place
at the right time, I guess. But if you ask any local musician over 40
who grew up around here, you'll get an Arrogance story.

You might also remember Don's stint in the 80s and 90s producing
records for little regional bands like Fetchin Bones, the Connells,
and REM. Now he's released his first solo album since 2001 or so.

Ed Crawford was known as ed fROMOHIO back in the 90s when he played
guitar & sang for the post-Minutemen band fIREHOSE. He moved to Chapel
Hill in the late 90s and put together a great country-rock band called
Grand National, but I haven't heard from them in what seems like ages,
so maybe they wrapped it up.

Friday, June 30
Opening Flower Happy Bird
(http://www.myspace.com/openingflowerhappybird), The Amoeba Men
(http://www.cnprecords.com/the_amoeba_men.htm)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Opening Flower Happy Bird are 1/2 from Carrboro, 1/2 from Richmond.
Drums, guitar, keyboard, laptop & singing, all in service of some
decidedly low-fi catchy-but-wistful pop. Their new full-length CD is
excellent, though not as demented as their first EP.

Friday, June 30
The Greatest Hits (http://www.thegreatesthits.org/), The Sammies
(http://www.myspace.com/thesammies), Tiger Thief
(http://www.tigerthief.com/), Brent Jordan
(http://www.myspace.com/brentjordanmusic)
Kings, Raleigh

Saturday, July 1
Dirty South Street Rock Fest II
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Big ol' dirtypunkrock fest featuring the following bands:

THE ANTAGONIZERS
LABOR FORCE
SAB GREY
VANGUARD
TOMMY GUTLESS
AGGRO VATORS
CHARM CITY SAINTS
SMASHED POINTS
STRAIGHT LACED

Saturday, July 1
The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/), Robo Sapien
(http://www.gorobosapien.com/), Dirty Little Heaters
(http://www.thedirtylittleheaters.com), Midtown Dickens
(http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens), DJ Kommittee
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a benefit for badass drummer Melissa York (ex-Team Dresch,
ex-Butchies, ex-Gerty, currently Ex-Members), whose neck got all
fucked up. Was it from all the rocking? All the rest of us who're
known to head-bob (or headbang) sure as shit hope that major surgery
isn't the inevitable result, but in any case, Melissa went under the
knife & is currently recovering. This is a benefit to help her retire
the inevitable debt that results from Major Neck Surgery ($3000
sponges & shit like that). Goes without saying that it's all George
Bush's fault, but we're gonna have to deal with that problem later.

Saturday, July 1
WE JAM ECONO: Story of The Minutemen
The Flying Anvil, Greensboro

This is a screening of the so-great-it-made-me-cry Minutemen
documentary. If you're in Greensboro, or if you didn't see the thing
when it screened at Local 506 a few months ago, then you gotta see
this. Or, since it just came out on DVD, I guess you could rent/buy
it, but you'll miss the Minutemen tribute band that's playing after
the movie at the Anvil.

Saturday, July 1
The Coughs (http://www.myspace.com/coughsbitch)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, July 1
North Elementary (http://www.northelementary.com), Spider Bags
(http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags), The Rose Marie
(http://www.myspace.com/ryanleedunlap), Secret Language
(http://www.myspace.com/secretlanguage), Simple
(http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecomsimple)
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Big show featuring current/former members of various local bands
(well, mostly North Elementary), showing off their latest incestuous
recombinations. Near as I can tell/crib from John Harrison, it breaks
down like this:

Spider Bags (Members of Kingsbury Manx, ex-North Elementary)
North Elementary
Secret Language (From NYC/ex-North Elementary)
The Rose Marie (Ryan Lee Dunlap, Jen Richelson, Betty Rupp, John
Harrison)
Simple (members of North Elementary, Pleasant, Casting Company - debut
show)

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of June 22, 2006, grady, 06/22/2006