ch-scene - Re: World Cup / Raleigh / Cary

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: John Iwaniszek <not AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: World Cup / Raleigh / Cary
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 21:09:01 GMT

5er , martin wrote:

> Playmakers on Hillsborough Street across from Meredith
> has been there for several years. Definitely not
> "new". Maybe new to you.
> Which is not [always] the same thing.
>
> -5er

It has been around for six years. It was recently (this year) purchased by
its new owners. I guess we can quibble about what "new" means, but I
misunderstood the lineage of the bar as it was related to me by a friend of
mine.

So: It is new [to me] since moving to raleigh 20 years ago; under new
management (what is "new management" in the sports bar biz? Is it a
discrete category, or is there a continuum involved? We will have to leave
that question to the philosophers for times when they are not drinking
their beers and shouting at the tv screens), and finally it is no doubt
ancient to our new friend.

You are correct: "New" is a matter of perspective.