ch-scene - [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: Voter-Owned Election Lobby Day...

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Internationalist Books <ibooks AT internationalistbooks.org>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: Voter-Owned Election Lobby Day...
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 12:36:09 -0400

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin St
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919-942-1740
http://internationalistbooks.org/

SAVE THE DATE! VOTER-OWNED ELECTION LOBBY DAY IS JUNE 14TH

WHAT: The NC Voters for Clean Elections Coalition Lobby Day. Make your voice heard as we urge the General Assembly to level the playing field in our elections and restore citizens' faith in our democracy by passing a public-financing pilot program for legislative elections.

WHY: The influence of big money in politics makes it difficult to solve so many of today's most pressing problems – from cleaning up our environment, to building a stronger economy, to improving our education system and making our tax system more fair. Recent scandals in Raleigh and Washington, while reinforcing the public's most pessimistic concerns about our political system, have given us a window of opportunity for real and meaningful democratic reform. For the first time in years, there's a chance that a public-financing pilot program for legislative elections could actually pass in the North Carolina legislature, an important next step in making our elected officials less influenced by special interests and more accountable to average North Carolinians.

WHEN: Wednesday, June 14th, 9 am-2 pm (Come for as long as you can!)

Schedule of events:
9am – Breakfast (provided)
9:30am – Hear from legislators, organizers, and policy wonks who are working on campaign reform
10:30am – Start meeting with your legislators
12pm – Lunch (provided)
1pm – Press conference and more meetings with legislators

WHERE: Briefing and meals in Level A of the NC Museum of Natural Sciences; Lobbying at NC General Assembly in Raleigh

TO PARTICIPATE PLAN TO JOIN US. If you'd like a lunch or need help setting up appointments please email ncvce.coalition AT gmail.com and tell us your name and contact information. If you have any other questions please call Chase Foster at (919)260-1872.

IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT ON THE 14TH: Plan to participate virtually! Writing a letter to the editor about the need for voter-owned elections (see newspaper contact list), or calling or emailing your legislators (switchboard number: 919-933-4111) can also go a long way in encouraging legislators to take this next important step for our democracy.

DIRECTIONS:
From Chapel Hill, Durham, Greensboro, and Charlotte: Go East on I-40 toward Raleigh, take the Wade Ave. Exit; Take Wade Ave. to Capital Boulevard (toward downtown); Take Capitol Boulevard South toward downtown Raleigh; Capitol Boulevard South becomes Dawson St.; Turn
Left onto Jones St.; The General Assembly will be on the left and our
meeting spot at the museum will be on the right.

Go to http://www.naturalsciences.org/visinfo/directions.html for
further directions and a map.

PARKING:
An aboveground state visitors parking lot is now open across from the
NC Museum of History: entrances are on Jones and Edenton streets
($.50/hr, max. $4/day). There is also free two hour parking around
Moore's Square and Exploris museum.

*WHAT IS PRISON BOOKS*

The Prison Books Collective is a new prisoner support group forming in
the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area. Like the dozens of other similar groups
around the country, it will provide thousands of free books, at request,
to prisoners throught the southeast. By providing educational,
political and legal resources, we can support people behind bars, show
solidarity with their struggles, and fight against the alienating and
destructive effects of the US prison system.

But we need your help! We currently have a space to work out of, but
are in need of books and money for shipping. We're also going to need
lots of eager volunteers to help package and mail books. If you would
like to help organize or support this great project please go to
www.prisonbooks.info.

####

  • [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: Voter-Owned Election Lobby Day..., Internationalist Books, 06/09/2006