ch-scene - Stuff to Do, Week of June 8, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to Do, Week of June 8, 2006
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 19:02:26 -0400

Thursday, June 8
Work Clothes ( http://www.workclothesmusic.com/ ) , Jew(s) &
Catholic(s), The Session
The Flying Anvil, Greensboro

The Flying Anvil is the new club in downtown Greensboro (just around
the corner from [*> http://www.elsewhereelsewhere.org/ <*] Elsewhere -
when I was there recently, a sign said they'd give guided tours in the
evenings, so maybe show up early & see what you can see). Here's what
they say about these bands:

WORK CLOTHES: This husband/wife songwriting team of Jenny & Lee Waters
play haunting and bittersweet pop songs. If you are a fan of The
Secret Stars, Monroe Mustang, Galaxie 500, the Magnetic Fields and the
Elephant 6 Collective, you will not be disappointed. They are from
Chapel Hill

JEW(S) AND CATHOLIC(S): What happens when a classically trained,
Jewish double bass player and a string breakin' Catholic guitarist get
together? You get Jew(s) and Catholic(s).They are from Winston-Salem

THE SESSION: The Session are made up members of Palagic, Frog and Toad
Together, and Kudzu Wish. They are from Greensboro.

Thursday, June 8
Apis Bull ( http://www.apisbull.com/ ) , The Same, Parker
Kings, Raleigh

Apis Bull are from New Bern; they're a two-piece (including, I
believe, the insanely fast/complex drummer from the Kickass) & they
make crazy skittery post-whatever spazzrock.

Thursday, June 8
Amish Jihad ( http://www.myspace.com/amishjihad ) , Morbid Toothbrush
( http://www.myspace.com/morbidtoothbrush ) , Delicious
Reservoir, Carrboro

[*> http://morbidtoothbrush.afterbirthcasserole.com/ <*] Hygiene Metal
from Charlotte?

Friday, June 9
Matt Pond PA ( http://www.mattpondpa.com/ ) , The Prayers and Tears of
Arthur Digby Sellers ( http://www.prayersandtears.com/ )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, June 9
Malt Swagger, Tiger Thief ( http://www.tigerthief.com/ ) , Ostracon
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Ostracon is a new band featuring Abby Pearce, who I would've thought
was too busy getting ready for the opening of her & Andy Magowan's new
restaurant, Piedmont, to have time to rock. But then if the restaurant
biz made folks too busy to rock, there'd be no rockshows at all. She
describes Ostracon like so: "If you miss the 90's, you'll love
Ostracon. We're loud as fuck, a little mathy, a dash of indy, a touch
of metal, and a whole lot of broken equipment. Someone compared us to
Rodan, and my sister says we're grunge (our album, Herrrll Yeaaaha,
should be out soon). Either way, 90's."

Abby was one of the bewigged & berocking women of Roxxxotica, and also
lately has been playing keys in Erie Choir.

Malt Swagger have existed down around the Durham underground for most
of the last decade or more, though they only intermittently emerge
into the surface world. Insert cicada reference here. They buzz and
vibrate.

Friday, June 9
Blag'ard ( http://www.blagard.com/ )
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Blag'ard is the new band of Joe Taylor, who was in Capsize 7 and then
later, briefly, in a great little band called Lystra. He's been
playing shows with Billy Buckley on drums, but I don't know if this is
one of those.

Friday, June 9
Valient Thorr ( http://www.valientthorr.com/ ) , Black Taj (
http://www.amishrecords.com/ami021.html ) , Thunderlip (
http://www.thunderlip.com/ )
Kings, Raleigh

Both Valient Thorr and Thunderlip (VT from Venus, Thunderlip from
Wilmington) play hyper-enthusiastic kinda goofy evangelo-metal, with
lots of speechifying and general showmanlike antics the likes of which
are too-seldom seen 'round these parts.

Black Taj are what you get when half of Polvo hook up with half of the
Hendrix tribute band "The Jimi Hendrix Inexperience." Actually, that
pretty well describes the last Polvo album, "Shapes," as well. Black
Taj are a lot like "Shapes," only moreso.

Saturday, June 10
Starlight Mints ( http://www.starlightmints.com ) , The Octopus
Project ( http://www.theoctopusproject.com/ ) , Dios Malos (
http://www.wearedios.com/ )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, June 10
Noncanon ( http://www.myspace.com/noncanon ) , The Heist and the
Accomplice ( http://www.myspace.com/theheistandtheaccomplice ) , Bull
City ( http://www.bullcitytheband.com/ )
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

Saturday, June 10
Chuck Johnson, Crowmeat Bob, Phon, The Hem of His Garment, Chris
Eubank
Kings, Raleigh

Kings calls this Experimental Instrumental Night. Phon make glitchy
ambient pedal-music; there may be a PDF reproduction of their layout
from the Indy a few weeks ago [*>
http://www.indyweek.com/pdf/Phon_rig_5_10.pdf <*] here.

Kings says: "The Hem of His Garment is a 15-piece band featuring
DeYarmond Edison, Phon, Rich Ivey of Street Sharks, In the Year of the
Pig, a guy named Lincoln and Grayson Currin of writing fame, plus some
others."

Saturday, June 10
Shannon O'Connor ( http://shannonoconnor.com/ ) , New Town Drunks (
http://www.newtowndrunks.com/ ) , Spider Bags (
http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, June 11
North Elementary ( http://www.northelementary.com ) , Schooner (
http://www.schoonermusic.com ) , Prabir and the Substitutes (
http://www.prabirandthesubstitutes.com/ )
The Cave, Chapel Hill

If you're looking for the Next Big Thing, look no further than
Schooner, at least judging from the large numbers of stylishly-dressed
people who danced wildly, sang along, and then left after their set at
the Sames goodbye party a few weeks ago. Nice to see that sometimes
The Masses get it at least partly right (except the bit about leaving
before the guests of honor had even taken the stage, I guess).

Tuesday, June 13
Mortar and Pestle ( http://www.trekkyrecords.com/mortar.html ) , Heads
Down Thumbs Up ( http://www.myspace.com/headsdownthumbsup ) , Bring
Back the Guns ( http://www.bringbacktheguns.com/ )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Mortar & Pestle are from Greensboro, though some of them met while in
high school in Chapel Hill, and they've still got ties to Trekky
Records. They make off-kilter sing-songy indie-rock whose anthemic
tendencies are nicely undercut by some pleasantly raw edges.

Wednesday, June 14
The Sibling Project ( http://www.thesiblingproject.com/ ) , Anola's
Recovery ( http://www.myspace.com/anolasrecovery )
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

Wednesday, June 14
Red Collar ( http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic ) , Theo and the
Skyscrapers ( http://www.theoandtheskyscrapers.com/ )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Theo and the Skyscrapers are the new band of ex-Lunachicks frontwoman
Theo Kogan, and if Lunachicks were a sorta 2nd-tier L7, then I'm led
to believe that the Skyscrapers are a sorta 18th-tier Blondie. But
it's not like I've actually heard them.

Red Collar are from Durham, and I'm still waiting for their doubletime
punkrock cover of "Like a Rock."

Wednesday, June 14
Spader ( http://www.myspace.com/spadermusic ) , Dynasty Electric Duo (
http://dynastyelectricduo.com/ ) , Future Islands (
http://www.myspace.com/futureislands )
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Spader are from Raleigh and they somehow manage to merge dancemusic
and U2 without sounding at all Zooropa. Future Islands formed from the
ashes of Art Lord and the Self Portraits. I haven't seen them, so I
don't know if they're still sporting the massive sideburns to
[mis]match their Casiotone dance-pop.

Wednesday, June 14
Suma Bay ( http://www.sumabay.com/ ) , Mad Man Films (
http://mmfmusic.com/ ) , Bull City ( http://www.bullcitytheband.com/ )
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Thursday, June 15
L in Japanese ( http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/L_in_Japanese/ ) ,
The Coup ( http://www.thecoupmusic.net/ ) , T-K.A.S.H., Merlin, Savvy
Local 506, Chapel Hill

"Baby let's have a baby, before Bush do something crazy."

Thursday, June 15
Mondo Topless ( http://www.mondotopless.com/ ) , The Lobsters (
http://www.myspace.com/thelobsters ) , The Young Sinclairs (
http://www.myspace.com/theyoungsinclairs )
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Thursday, June 15
Hearts and Daggers ( http://www.heartsanddaggers.com/ ) , Puritan
Rodeo Show ( http://www.thepuritanrodeoshow.blogspot.com/ ) , The
Liquid Courage Band ( http://www.theliquidcourageband.com/ )
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Friday, June 16
Spader ( http://www.myspace.com/spadermusic ) , Dynasty Electric Duo (
http://dynastyelectricduo.com/ ) , Future Islands (
http://www.myspace.com/futureislands )
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, June 16
The Shankleys
Local 506, Chapel Hill

It's the 20th anniversary of the release of "The Queen Is Dead," so
naturally The Shankleys had to emerge from their black-silk cocoon to
wow you with their Smiths verisimilitude. In case you missed it the
last time: didja ever go see Jett Rink and think "hey, I wonder if
Viva is a Morrissey fan?"

He is.

There'll be 80s britpop spinning on the PA before & after, and all
proceeds go to Piedmont Biofuels.

Friday, June 16
The Dynamite Brothers ( http://www.dynamitebrothers.com/ ) , Baleen (
http://www.baleen.net/ )
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Saturday, June 17
Vomit Fest (
http://www.profaneexistence.net/community/viewtopic.php?t=3377&; )
The Werehouse, Winston-Salem

Giant allday/allnight punkrock fest at the Werehouse in Winston-Salem.
Lineup/info [*>
http://www.profaneexistence.net/community/viewtopic.php?t=3377&; <*]
here or [*> http://www.thewerehouse.com/incoming/index.html <*] here.

Saturday, June 17
Leadfoot ( http://www.leadfoot.net/ ) , Snatches of Pink (
http://www.snatchesofpink.com/ ) , Can Joann (
http://www.canjoann.com/ )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, June 17
Transportation ( http://www.myspace.com/transportation ) , Bringerer (
http://www.myspace.com/bringerer ) , Autocode
Reservoir, Carrboro

Tranportation bring the 70s rock eclectic-style, with a major Queen
influence (don't have to listen too hard to find the Wings &
Badfinger, either). Bringerer bring a slightly different set of 70s
icons to mind: [early, glam-rock] Brian Eno, Cheap Trick. Which just
means they're a really good circa-right-now indie-rock band.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to Do, Week of June 8, 2006, grady, 06/08/2006