ch-scene - schooner note

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: schooner note
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:43:46 -0400

I just realized that in the "stuff to do" I neglected to redo the entry about Schooner, as I have been informed, somewhat belatedly, that they're no longer OF Raleigh. I guess technically having formed while Raleighites, they will in some sense always be FROM Raleigh, at least as much as I'm FROM Indiana (and a proud Hoosier at that -- the other day I was listening to NPR and heard Scott Simon explaining, apparently in response to some angry letters, that "Indianans" was also an acceptable term for those of us from that state, and that it's his preferred term due to concerns about some listeners mis-hearing "Hoosier" as something else. I missed the part where he specified what that something else might be, though. Either way, that's BULLSHIT, consarnit. Did I mention the part where in 4th grade we were taught (this was in the textbook, mind you) that while nobody really knows the origin of the term "Hoosier," one speculation was that the frontier was a rough place, the sort of place where bar fights were common, and rough enough that the outcome of many such fights might be someone holding up a severed bloody ear saying "Whose ear?" There was a fucking illustration, I swear to god.)

Anyway. Schooner are now OF Chapel Hill, at least mostly. I will leave to the respective citizens of the various towns involved to come together in some sort of colloqy to determine where they are, in fact, FROM.

xo

Ross