ch-scene - Stuff to do, Week of April 28, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, Week of April 28, 2006
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 16:59:50 -0400

Friday, April 28
Charles Latham ( http://www.myspace.com/sircharleslatham ) , Grey Revell ( http://www.greyrevell.com )
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the early (7:30) show. Charles Latham sent me an email about it:

Both Grey and his wife Patsy were OGs (original gangstas, as the kids say) of the NYC Antifolk scene, sharing the stage with The Moldy Peaches and their various incarnations (Adam Green, Kimya Dawson...) and are both featured on the original Antifolk Compilation Vol. 1.

As Grey puts it, he and Patsy were "blown up to North Carolina" by Katrina and now live in Charlotte.

The three of us will be sharing the stage in sort of a songwriter's showdown/ twisted version of VH1 Storytellers. I really think this night is going to have an energetic sloppiness to it and will be, of course, antifolk as fuck. NO, it's not going to be whiny acoustic boringness. We will all be on acid. And there will be pyrotechnics.

Friday, April 28
Destroyed Tradition ( http://destroyedtradition.com ) , Street Sharks ( http://www.myspace.com/streetsharsk ) , Big D and the Kids' Table ( http://www.bigdandthekidstable.com/ )
305 South, Durham

Friday, April 28
Fin Fang Foom ( http://www.lovitt.com/artists/finfangfoom.html ) , Cities ( http://www.citiesmusic.com ) , Idea of Beauty ( http://ideaofbeauty.com ) , Heads Down Thumbs Up ( http://www.myspace.com/headsdownthumbsup )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is the CD Release party for Cities' new self-titled debut on Yep Roc. The 30% of it that I like is pretty good, in an echoey-guitars, echoey drawn-out vocals, breakbeat-ish drums (i.e. Interpol/Franz Ferdinand) kind of way.

Friday, April 28
Blag'ard ( http://www.blagard.com/ ) , Back to Blonde ( http://www.backtoblonde.com/ )
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Blag'ard (or is that Bla'gard?) is Joe Taylor (ex-Capsize 7, ex-Lystra) and Billy Buckley (ex-Cobra Khan, ex-Panzer, and didn't Billy do some time in the Ghost of Rock bass chair?). Billy's playing drums for the first time, and the other day he was talking excitedly behind the bar at Federal about how much fucking fun he's having.

Friday, April 28
White Elephant ( http://www.myspace.com/whiteelephantch ) , Angry Johnny and the Killbillies ( http://www.getangry.com/ )
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, April 28
Shannon O'Connor ( http://shannonoconnor.com/ ) , Hearts and Daggers ( http://www.heartsanddaggers.com/ ) , The Bo-Stevens ( http://www.thebostevens.com/ )
Kings, Raleigh

Saturday, April 29
Veronique Diabolique ( http://www.veroniquediabolique.com/ )
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the early show (7:30), which begs the question: how will the members of Veronique Diabolique, Durham's only French-speaking Goth band, get themselves to The Cave in time to play a 7:30 show without exposing their skin to that evil sunlight?

Saturday, April 29
Street Sharks ( http://www.myspace.com/streetsharsk ) , Modern Machines ( http://www.myspace.com/modernmachines ) , The Ergs ( http://dorkrockcorkrod.com )
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

Saturday, April 29 - Wednesday, May 3
Logical Sound Discovery
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Logical Sound Discovery is a guy named Rob Logic, who makes dayglo psychedelic paintings, and has also been making dayglo psychedelic synthpop for at least the past 12-14 years or so. Long enough that I've got Logical Sound Discovery cassettes in my giant box-o-tapes at home. The early ones sound like Prince.

Anyway, I don't know the details, but all indications are that Rob is doing a 5-night residency at Slim's. Should be weird, to say the least.

Saturday, April 29
Brown Mountain Lights ( http://www.brownmountainlights.net/ )
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 29
Cities ( http://www.citiesmusic.com ) , Megaband, Endless Mic ( http://www.trekkyrecords.com/endlessmic.html ) , Blank_Blank
The Flying Anvil, Greensboro

This is a CD-release show for the latest WUAG compilation CD, "18 Watts is Better Than None." I have to hand it to them: those kids have put out more comp CDs in the past 5 years than XYC and XDU have put out, combined, in the past 15. Here's what WUAG says about the show:

"This is a special CD Release Show/Party featuring three bands from the cd: Blank_Blank, Endless Mic (Hip Hop from Chapel Hill), and Cities. The show will be capped off by the NC Only performance of Megaband. Megaband is the members of Cinemachanica playing the soundtrack to the 1988 Nintendo game Megaman II, while two guys beat the game in under 40 minutes."

Here's the lineup of the [double!] CD:

This double cd features exclusive in studio and live recordings from both National Touring acts and North Carolina acts. The CD is broken up into a National CD and an all North Carolina artist CD.

CD 1 National Touring Acts
1. Lifesavas "HelloHiHey"
2. Tender Forever "That Feeling of Love"
3. Plat "Aftur"
4. The Baptist Generals "500 League Reunion March (In A Plymouth)
5. Psyche Origami "Wherever You Are"
6. Unwed Sailor "Little Wars"
7. Oneida "Spirits"
8. Calvin Johnson "Love Will Come Back Again"
9. Magnolia Electric Co. "Untitled"
10. Boom Bip "Red Room"
11. Voltage
12. Tussle "A&M"
13. Timonium "Self Evidence"
14. Page France "Finders"

CD 2 North Carolina Acts
1. Blank_Blank "160 Oz."
2. Cesar Comanche "Up & Down"
3. Bellafea "Depart, I Never Knew You"
4. Walking Dead "First In Last"
5. Ticonderoga "They Can Run"
6. Endless Mic "Down"
7. Cities "Cancer"
8. Kaleidoscope Death "What Do They Know"
9. Witch Kings "Reap What You Sow"
10. SNMNMNM "New Mexico"
11. Boxcar Bertha "WEF"
12. Tim Smith Band "Holy Day"
13. L in Japanese "Fill In The Blanks"
14. Ahleuchatistas "Shots Rang Out At the Press Conference"
15. The Enrichment Center Percussion Ensemble "Winter Song"
16. The Strugglers "Sea of Tears"

Saturday, April 29
Schooner ( http://www.schoonermusic.com ) , Honored Guests ( http://www.thehonoredguests.com/ ) , Joe Romeo ( http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release for the Honored Guests. Joe Romeo used to front Fake Swedish; now he has a new band, the Orange County Volunteers. Schooner are from Raleigh, of course, and they're everybody's favorite Pox World Empire band (or at least they're the band mentioned most often when I'm talking to *other* Pox bands).

Sunday, April 30
Jaguaro ( http://www.myspace.com/jaguaro )
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Jaguaro are a Durham two-piece: Jon E. Walker on guitar, and Maria Brubeck on drums. She pounds those fuckers hard, all tom-toms and trying to keep her glasses on, and smiling like she's never had a better time in her life. Jon E. stands at the front of the stage and pulls great spurts of noisy bluesmetal skronk out of his guitar, all the while muttering and yelling like every crazy Durhamite you cross the street to avoid (and/or wind up drinking & talking with all night at Joe & Jo's). 5:00 p.m. at 88.7 FM or www.wxdu.org.

Tuesday, May 2
Vaz ( http://www.thevaz.com/ )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Vaz were a 2-piece from the Fargo/Minneapolis area; at some point they moved to LA. At some point after that, they moved to Brooklyn, and now it appears they may be a 3-piece again. Anyway. They're huge and clangorous & heavy-as-fuck.

Wednesday, May 3
Shannon O'Connor ( http://shannonoconnor.com/ ) , Monsonia ( http://www.monsonia.com ) , On Three ( http://www.myspace.com/ericonthree )
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Monsonia used to be a taut, mathy three-piece; now they're a [presumably still taut, mathy] gtr/drums two-piece. I missed the debut of the newly slim lineup, though, so I dunno.

On Three started as a side-project of ex-Fake Swedish guitarist Eric Haugen, but with the demise of FS, they're his main gig now.

Wednesday, May 3
Erie Choir ( http://www.eriechoir.com ) , American Aquarium ( http://www.americanaquarium.com/ ) , Eef Barzelay ( http://www.myspace.com/eefbarzelay )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Eef Barzelay is the frontman of the band Clem Snide, whom I wanna characterize as one of those post-Joe Henry/Lambchoppy art-"country" / slow-pop bands, but I'm not sure why I have that impression.

Erie Choir is the spare/mournful side-project of [not allowed to say ex- or Hepler will GET me] Sorry About Dresden singer/guitarist Eric Roehrig. I love Erie Choir.

Thursday, May 4
Dewayne Slightweight ( http://gaylordphoenix.com/ ) , Edie Fake ( http://gaylordphoenix.com/ )
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight sez:

Dewayne + Edie swing our way to show, share + sell their new bookworks "Gaylord Phoenix", "Foie Gras" and "Your Burrow Runs Deeper Than Your Blade: a recipe for gay triumphant utopias" (the latter being a picture book accompanied by music. "We want to read to you in secret languages and be the Sunday comics for you; we want to show you a picture and see what sound you make; we want to amplify the echo inside a paper hut." Look for long beards and self-playing xylophones, watch out for paisley patterns impaled on antlers, see a gay utopia appear right before your very eyes.

Thursday, May 4
The Naturals, Mowgli ( http://www.myspace.com/mowglimowgli ) , The Asexuals ( http://www.myspace.com/theasexuals )
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Thursday, May 4
Eyes to Space ( http://www.eyestospace.net/ ) , Captured! By Robots ( http://www.capturedbyrobots.com/ ) , Experimental Dental School ( http://www.experimentaldental.com/ )
Kings, Raleigh

A couple of years ago, longtime local soundman and wrestling aficionado Todd Goss told me that Captured By Robots was the best show he'd seen in a half-dozen years. I'm still not sure what he meant by that, but I'm pretty sure it means something.

Eyes to Space are nerd-rock from Chapel Hill; Experimental Dental School is crazy spazzcore from the West Coast.

Thursday, May 4
Bartender Olympics ( http://www.local506.com )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

I'm not sure how many different events are involved in the Bartender Olympics, but I *do* know that it includes sets by a wide variety of pick-up bands assembled from the staffs of all the various local watering holes. To wit:

GENEROUS WHORES (The Cave)
vs
SPIDER BAGS (Fuse)
vs
NEW GRANADA (Local 506)
vs
TOMMOROW (Nightlight)
vs
AMISH JIHAD (Reservoir)
vs
WHITE ROOK (Shorty's)
vs
THE BIG BIRDS (Talullas)

  • Stuff to do, Week of April 28, 2006, grady, 04/28/2006