ch-scene - This coming week @ Bull City Records & more...

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "chaz" <bullcityrocks AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: This coming week @ Bull City Records & more...
  • Date: 21 Apr 2006 10:49:20 -0700

alright, so for all you's unaware, this is going to be one hectic week
coming up. bring out those old dusty dancing shows, strap on them booty
shakin' jeans and prepare yourself for the most intense week in music
to ever hit the triangle...

the bands playing at the shop are linked thru
www.myspace.com/bullcityrecords, and all the others can be found by
running a "Music" search on Myspace.
---------------------------

-[SATURDAY, APRIL 22ND]-
@ Bull City Records.
Starts @8pm, no foolin.
CD Release Party for the JVSH!

Red Collar (amazing up and coming Durham band, think 90s DC/Chicago)
Jonas Sees in Color (Greensboro inde rock)
Junior Varsity Superheroes (quirky 80s keyboard pop. can ya hang?)
Ashley Atkins (short acoustic set)

[i think this show is an excuse for a party and i fear/hope it will
just descend rapidly into a debaucherific mess]

-[TUESDAY, APRIL 25TH]-
@ The Cat's Cradle, not Bull City Records
Check their site for details, but hell...

AVAIL (umm...one of my favorite bands, did i mention i'm from Richmond)
The Draft (members of Hot Water Music - Gainesville, FL)
Smoke or Fire (more from RVa, Fat Wreck Chords)
Pink Razors (yes, RVa again, these guys played the shop a while back,
amazing Sreeching Weasel style punk)

[well, needless to say, this is gonna kick ass, somewhat of a Richmond
showcase i guess. every last band is an amazing one, seriously. this
will be an awesome show. get there early for Pink Razors, they're about
to blow up!]

-[WEDNESDAY, APRIL 26TH]-
@ Bull City Records, get here by 9, b/c the show WILL start @9:30pm.
and pleeeeease bring 5$ for gas, i'll be marking hands, these guys are
coming from Chicago.

M.O.T.O. (awesome, smartly-moronic, tight as hell garage punk pop)
The Chest Pains (Durham 80s skater/stoner HC)
Double Negative (fast as hell NCHC)

[MOTO has been kicking around in various forms for 20 years, resulting
in the tightest, silliest, poppy punky garage this side of the Ramones.
seriously, this guy even has Beach/DooWop-ish tendencies sometimes.
wow, made my top ten list of albums last year. Chest Pains are Durham's
answer to the 80s hardcore resurgence, but bring their own blend of
stoner/skate punk into it. Double Negative is Raleigh's more youthful,
slobbering, spitting response; their third of fourth show and it's a
sight to be seen.]

-[THURSDAY, APRIL 27TH]-
@ The Flying Anvil, Greensboro, not Bull City Records.
contact them for more info, however...

Kylesa (madness outta Savannah, GA)
Crimson Spectre (Greensboro political, thrashy hardcore)
Des_Ark (we all know the deal)
Giant (Greensboro slow'n'heavy hardcore)

[Kylesa always packs a room with their doomy metally awesomeness, we'll
see how they do in the 750 person capacity new venue. The Flying Anvil
also houses the newly refurbished Gate City Noise, check it out while
you're there! The Zombies that are Crimson Spectre thrash and crunch
their way through crucial blasts of hardcore. That's right, crucial. I
have a feeling Aimee will, once again, lay to waste all these dirty
dudes with her hard-hitting, heavy-felt, heart-crushing anecdotes. I'm
all too unfamiliar with Giant, but I have ONLY heard good things.]

-[FRIDAY, DAY OF REST IF YOU SO CHOOSE...]-
otherwise, there's expectedly, tons of good stuff going on.

last, but by NO means, least...

-[SATURDAY, APRIL 22ND]-
@ Bull City Records. show will be around 9:30 or 10pm. with party to
follow afterwards.
5$ we gotta get two bands gas money to head back up north

Modern Machines (Milwaukeeites playing blistering pop punk a la Husker
Du)
The Ergs! (Jersey's best prancers. seriously. awesome punk pop.)
Street Sharks (Raleigh's one and only.)

[This is the ender, the blowout at the end of the week if you will.
Another show i'm super excited about, both the Modern Machines and The
Ergs have garnered ridiculous amounts of praise from MaximumRocknRoll,
Razorcake, etc. and promise a ridiculously good time. They've released
several 7"s, albums and The Ergs' label just recently got picked up by
our own Redeye Distribution. These two bands create an explosive force
not to be reckoned with when they perform together. If you want to
relive the days of punk rock and beer, or you want to START living
them, come out. All ages, so punk rock and caffeine go together nicely
as well. Two of my favorite current bands. Really, I guarantee a good
time. Promse. The Street Sharks are blistering, hardcore rock'n'roll -
a fury and energy that lacks from most bands these days.]

come out, we'd love to see ya!!!!

Afterparty to follow.

thanks for reading!!!
love, chaz.