ch-scene - [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: Art auction, Local Food, Poetry

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Internationalist Books <ibooks AT internationalistbooks.org>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: Art auction, Local Food, Poetry
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:14:07 -0400

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin St
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919-942-1740
http://internationalistbooks.org/

SOME HAPPY UPDATES ABOUT THIS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... Events happenin' outside of the bookstore are now grouped at the bottom of the list so make sure you go all the way down to get the good stuff. Also, we need VOLUNTEERS! Summer turnover is upon us so if you'd like to sign up for a shift (3 hrs/week) please stop by the store and pick up an application or email sarah AT internationalistbooks.org. Also, check out the blurb below about our new prison books program. xo

*WHAT IS PRISON BOOKS*

The Prison Books Collective is a new prisoner support group forming in
the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area. Like the dozens of other similar groups
around the country, it will provide thousands of free books, at request,
to prisoners throught the southeast. By providing educational,
political and legal resources, we can support people behind bars, show
solidarity with their struggles, and fight against the alienating and
destructive effects of the US prison system.

But we need your help! We currently have a space to work out of, but
are in need of books and money for shipping. We're also going to need
lots of eager volunteers to help package and mail books. If you would
like to help organize or support this great project please go to
www.prisonbooks.info.

THURSDAY, APRIL 13 - SILENT ART AUCTION & POTLUCK @ IBOOKS, 6-9pm

In collaboration with local artists, Internationalist Books will be
holding a silent art auction and potluck (bring something fun & healthy, BYOB) on Thursday, April 13. The artwork, ranging from collage and photography to prints and paintings, will be displayed the week before the auction, and bidding will be held from 6-9 pm on the night of the 13th. Sales will benefit the livelihood of the bookshop, with a percentage going to the artist.

THis is an opportunity to also check out the Internationalist's 'oh so savy' selection of art and cultural theory magazines and journals! We extend our highest gratitude and apprcecation for all the artists who have kindly donated their work. Featured artists and special guests include:

Galen Williams, Lara Marks, Sarah Dougherty, Todd Emmerett, Patrick Holt, Jesse, Ripley Whiteside, Jaishree Hart, Jeep Seaton, Charles St. Clair, Jen Prenda, Beth Tacular, Brendan Biggins, Hunter Levinsohn, Elizabeth Singer, Becky Broun, Julie Harris.

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 19 - AGAINST THE GRAIN: LOCAL FOOD @ IBOOKS, 7pm

Good, healthy, affordable food. The Triangle has one of the fastest growing Farmer's Market networks as well as myriad other exciting projects to promote and encourage local food production and use, including in several of the area's best restaurants. In the
face of rising gas prices and increasing skepticism about the organics
produced in mega-corporations, local food is gaining increasing importance. Join us for this year's second 'Against the Grain: Networking Local Alternatives,' where farmers, activists, and restaurant owners will describe the local food possibilities in the area, as well as discuss the importance of finding ways to become more local and self-sufficient. Guests (so far) include: Doug Jones (director of Central Carolina Community College, Southern Seed Exchange Program and Director of Agro Project between CCCC and Piedmont Biofuels), Tony Kleese (Director of Carolina Farm Steward Association), Cathy Jones (Organic Farmer at local markets, 2003 CFSA farmer of the year).

AGAINST THE GRAIN: Networking Local Alternatives
Chapel Hill and the surrounding area are filled with organizations, groups and businesses that are daily enacting ways of living within and
against the current system. Collective bookstores, cooperative living communities, bio-fuel collectives and experiments in public television, we are all involved, albeit differently, in projects that attempt to make the world a better place as we get on with our daily lives and work. Too often, however, we do so without a recognition about how many others are out there doing amazing things, we miss out on the potential
learning and growth we could all get from one another if we told our stories and though together about the possibilities, problems and goals
of our projects�both individually and collectively as part of a larger
movement and community.

SATURDAY, APRIL 22 - DESERT CITY POETRY SERIES: ROSMARIE WALDROP &
EMMANUAL HOCQUARD @ IBOOKS, 8pm

Stay tuned for details...

APRIL 26 & MAY 3 - MINI FILM SERIES: PERMACULTURE @ IBOOKS, 7pm

For two consecutive Wednesdays Internationalist Books is happy to
present a series of films on the topic of permaculture courtesey of
local resident Greta Lee. Interested in permaculture? Come in and
check out our selection of books & magazines.

April 26 --
'The Global Gardener' with Bill Mollison: Four 30-minute segments on
subtropical, dryland, temperate and urban systems. A classic!

May 3 --
'Farming with Nature': An Austrian couple demonstrates a highly
productive permaculture system on a steep Alpine slope (30 mins).

'The Synergistic Garden': French permaculturist, Emilia Hazelip, shows
organic no-till gardening and explains the basis of true soil health (30
mins).

'Urban Permaculture': Dr. Bill Roley introduces his coastal paradise in
southern California. Also shown is a food forest in Mexico in its early
phases (30 mins).

MONDAY, MAY 22 -- READING: MICHELLE TEA @ IBOOKS, 7pm

Whoa, a big one. Stay tuned for flowery description...

***GOINGS ON ABOUT TOWN ***

SATURDAY, APRIL 15 - They Tax, We Share!: Really Really Free Market in Carrboro, 1:30-4:30 PM

This year on tax day, celebrate the cooperation and gift-giving that
build community beyond clutches of government and capitalist markets at
the Really Really Free Market! All are invited to the Carrboro Town
Commons on Saturday, April 15th from 1:30 - 4:30 PM, to give and receive
food, games, music, clothing, furniture, and all sorts of goods and
services - totally tax-free! - at this free community event. For more
information, please visit www.rakaposhi.net/freemarket, or email
reallyfreemarketnc AT riseup.net.

MAY 18 - 21 -- SOUNDSCAPE MOVEMENT FEST

The 2006 SoundScape Movement Fest (Thursday May 18 to Sunday, May 21st) will foster the education and art of live music and dance collaboration. It is a two-track event featuring educational based workshops highlighting all aspects of production. Workshops range from
improvisation, sound/audio production, video production, grant-writing
and screen printing. The festival will feature nightly performances by
local and touring artists at several diverse venues including the
Nightlight, the Carrboro ArtsCenter, the Local 506, Balanced Movement,
Carolina Fitness, and the Internationalist Bookstore & Community Center.
Our mission is to provide an alternative environment for ground-breaking
provocative, and artistic collaborations.

CONTACT:
Alexis Mastromichalis
208 A. Purefoy Rd.
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
info at soundscapefest.org
919.923.7910

  • [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: Art auction, Local Food, Poetry, Internationalist Books, 04/12/2006