ch-scene - Stuff to Do, Week of March 30, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to Do, Week of March 30, 2006
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 19:10:51 -0500

Thursday, March 30
Devil Music Ensemble ( http://www.massdist.com/dme/ )
The Garage, Winston-Salem

The Devil Music Ensemble is a 21st-century-classical /art music group
from Boston, who seem to have a fondness for program-specific music,
such as live film accompaniment. Tonight they'll be providing a live
score to Robert Wiene's "Cabinet of Dr. Caligari," the landmark 1919
German Expressionist film. Go see it & (a) imagine what cinema would
be like if things had continued in that direction, and (b) find out
where all those music video directors stole all their shit.

Thursday, March 30
Destroyer ( http://www.mergerecords.com/band.php?bio=true&band_id=29 )
, Magnolia Electric Co. (
http://www.secretlycanadian.com/secretlycanadian/songsohia/ ) , Birds
of Avalon ( http://www.myspace.com/birdsofavalon )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Thursday, March 30
Another Tombstone Dream, The Trousers, Red Smokes White (
http://www.myspace.com/redsmokeswhite )
Kings, Raleigh

Thursday, March 30
Second Husband ( http://www.secondhusband.org/ ) , I Can Lick Any
Sonofabitch In The House ( http://www.icanlickanysob.com/ )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, March 30
Snatches of Pink ( http://www.snatchesofpink.com/ ) , White Elephant (
http://www.myspace.com/whiteelephantch )
Reservoir, Carrboro

Friday, March 31
Songs for Sixty-Five Roses ( http://www.songsforsixtyfiveroses.com/ )

Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Songs for Sixty-Five Roses is a compilation CD assembled by longtime
local rocker/producer John Plymale, to benefit the Cystic Fibrosis
Foundation (John's daughter has CF). It consists of NC-connected
artists doing covers of songs by other NC-connected artists. Nearly
all of the covers feature more acoustic guitars than the originals,
and in keeping with that, this show is going to be a lot of short
acoustic sets by nearly everyone on the CD. To wit

Nikki Meets The Hibachi
Will McFarlane
Athenaeum / Mike Garrigan
Claire Holley
Greg Humphreys
Katharine Whalen
Mac McCaughan
Jason Ross
Michael Rank / Marc Smith
Chris Stamey / Roman Candle
Southern Culture On The Skids
$2 Pistols

Friday, March 31
Jule Brown ( http://www.julebrown.org )
Fuse, Chapel Hill

Fuse is where Henry's used to be; good luck with parking, now that the
gravel lot seems to be off-limits, and the UNC lot next door has a
gate on it that's pointlessly closed on weekends, and the freaking
rich-folks condos across the street have begun to mean that all the
on-street parking is occupied all the time.

Jule Brown clawed its way out from under the shadow of Jennyanykind,
shortly after the last Jennyanykind album, "Peas and Collards," was
assembled out of the unreleased pieces of the excellent Jule Brown
album "The Town, the Clowns and the Sound of Jule Brown." Suddenly
Jennyanykind ceased to exist, and Jule Brown signed to a New York
label, the fruits of which should be appearing any-damn-day now.

Friday, March 31
Centro-Matic ( http://www.centro-matic.com/ ) , The Prayers and Tears
of Arthur Digby Sellers ( http://www.prayersandtears.com/ ) , Great
Lake Swimmers ( http://www.greatlakeswimmers.com/ )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 1
Bad Checks ( http://demonbeach.com/checks.htm ) , Sin Eater
Kings, Raleigh

This is way more than just the first Bad Checks show in like 2 years
(although it's that as well). Hellcar Comix/Onion Head Monster
mastermind Paul Friedrich has put together an all-day
artist/designer/creative-type conference/networking party/whathaveyou
at Kings. Details on it [*> http://www.hellcar.com <*] here. Here's a
quick schedule:

10:30 am - 11:00 am Introduction to the Event
11:00 am - 12:30 pm 1st Session, seminar discussion
12:30 pm - 1:30 pm Lunch break
1:30 pm - 3:00 pm 2nd Session, seminar discussion
3:00 pm - 3:30 pm break
3:30 pm - 4:30 pm 3rd Session, seminar discussion
4:30 pm - 5:00 pm Closing remarks
5:00 pm - 7:00 pm Dinner break
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm Movie at Kings
9:00 pm - 1:00 am Music: Sin Eaters and Bad Checks at Kings

Saturday, April 1
En Garde ( http://www.myspace.com/engardemusic ) , AOK (
http://www.myspace.com/aoknc ) , J.Page ( http://www.myspace.com/jpage
) , Deep Sea Diving ( http://www.myspace.com/deepseadiving ) , The
Citizen
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

This is a going-away party for En Garde bassist Matt Tomich (ex-Sorry
About Dresden, ex-Scaries, ex-Raygun Theater, how many others?), who
is heading off to Switzerland for a bit. John Booker gave me the
10-second rundown on the rest of the bands yesterday, but I have to
confess I've subsequently forgotten most of it, other than that
ex-Scaries frontman Mike Magarelli is in one of them.

Saturday, April 1
The Rosebuds ( http://www.therosebuds.com/ ) , Bowerbirds (
http://www.myspace.com/bowerbirds )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

The Bowerbirds are the new band featuring Phil Moore of Ticonderoga;
you will realize when you go to their [*>
http://www.myspace.com/bowerbirds <*] myspace page that his voice is
the voice you so loved on so many Ticonderoga songs. I'm only miffed
that I can't suss how to download those songs & listen when I'm not
plugged up.

The Rosebuds you know about, but maybe in the heat of things you
haven't thought of them in awhile. Think of them now, and remember how
much you like them (well, except you, Rick!).

Saturday, April 1
Franklin Delano ( http://www.franklindelano.org/ )
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Saturday, April 1
Nathan Asher & the Infantry ( http://www.nathanasher.com/ )
Raleigh Music Hall, Raleigh

Saturday, April 1
The Strugglers ( http://www.thestrugglers.org/ ) , Nola
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

The Strugglers are a remarkable rockband, nowadays; there's still that
alt-country edge about them, but they've augmented it with muscle, and
funk, and a propulsive confidence that's more than justified by the
quality of the music they're making.

Saturday, April 1
Auto-Passion ( http://www.myspace.com/autopassion ) , The Sammies (
http://www.myspace.com/thesammies )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 1
Maxwell/Mosher ( http://www.maxwellmosher.com/ )
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 1
Razzle ( http://www.chooglin.com ) , Kerbloki (
http://www.kerbloki.com/ ) , Ruscha ( http://www.myspace.com/ruscha )

Reservoir, Carrboro

Dave Cantwell fills in the details about this benefit/rare Razzle
reunion:

Instrument donation drop-off: 4:00-7:00 at The Reservoir. Show is at
normal Rock Show time (you can bring instruments at this time,
too--but before the show is preferable).

The Deal:

OK, so it's only been less than two years since Razzle's "last
show," so this might seem kinda lame, but this is a special
situation. (Razzle guitarist) Mike Robb has organized this benefit
show/instrument donation for [*> http://www.musicianscharity.com <*]
Musicians Charity, which provides instruments and money to New Orleans
musicians who lost everything in the Katrina flood (remember that??).
Mike's noble goal is to convince Triangle musicians to part with some
of their unused--but working (or easily fixable)--gear to give to
those less lucky. (You must have SOMETHING lying around the house
that you haven't played in years: old drums [and cymbals and
hardware], guitars, effects pedals, microphones, recording equipment,
band instruments [especially], practice amps, whatever!!)

By the way, if you have stuff, but can't/won't come that afternoon (or
have questions) feel free to call Mike Robb at: 919-967-7399 or email:
mikerach1 AT gmail.com. He can probably accommodate you.

This cause is pretty important to the Razzle folks (Mike and I both
have lots of friends/family/roots in that part of the world), so this
is not the typical "Hey, let's get the band back together" kind of
reunion show. This is special.

RAZZLE: 2 parts Thin Lizzy + 1 part Big Black=The Whitest Guitar Rock
Band in NC.

KERBLOCKI: 2 parts Beastie Boys + 1 part MC 900 Foot Jesus=The
Whitest Hip Hop Act in NC.

RUSCHA: 1 part Rush + 2 Parts COC + 1 part Slayer=The Whitest Metal
Duo in The Triangle.

THE RESERVOIR: Is the bar in he space that used to be Go! Room #4.

This show is technically free, but donations are strongly encouraged.
(Mike is gonna rent a U-Haul and drive all the gear down to NOLA a
week after the show. Keep in mind the price of gasoline.)

(Secret: There might be free beer during the drop-off hours. Be
there!)

Sunday, April 2
Health ( http://www.myspace.com/healthyportions ) , David Karsten
Daniels ( http://www.davidkarstendaniels.com/ ) , Lovers (
http://lovers.orangetwin.com ) , Auxiliary House (
http://www.trekkyrecords.com/auxhouse.html )
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

David Karsten Daniels is a member of the Bu Hanan collective; he
writes sad and sometimes beautiful songs, and it's anybody's guess
which of the BH folks is/are going to show up to play them with him.

Auxiliary House is the collective consciousness of the Trekky Records
gang, and that's about all I know.

Health is from Greensboro & it's a side-project of Jonathan from
TigerBearWolf.

Sunday, April 2
Bellafea ( http://www.bellafea.com/ ) , I Love You But I've Chosen
Darkness ( http://www.chosendarkness.com/ )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Bellafea are emerging from a self-imposed "we be recording, leave us
alone" hiatus. Last I heard they were still Heather McMuffin on guitar
& buck-dancing, and Nathan on drums and trying not to laugh.

ILYBICD are from Austin & are on Secretly Canadian. Their press photo
makes them look old.

Tuesday, April 4
Ivan Howard ( http://www.therosebuds.com ) , Monologue Bombs
Kings, Raleigh

Ivan Howard sings & plays guitar in the Rosebuds. Monologue Bombs is
apparently Scott Phillips, who sings & plays keyboards in Goner.

Tuesday, April 4
Cordero ( http://www.corderomusic.com/ ) , Kitty Box & the Johnnys
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, April 5
Mobius Band ( http://www.mobiusband.com/ ) , Stellastarr* (
http://www.stellastarr.com/ ) , Editors (
http://www.editorsofficial.co.uk/ )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Wednesday, April 5
American Aquarium ( http://www.americanaquarium.com/ ) , Voxtrot (
http://www.voxtrot.net/ ) , Grizzly Bear (
http://www.grizzly-bear.net/ )
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, April 5
Dirty5thirty ( http://www.myspace.com/dirty5thirty )
Kings, Raleigh

Thursday, April 6
Dead Meadow ( http://www.deadmeadow.com ) , Dinosaur Jr (
http://www.freakscene.net/ ) , Priestess (
http://www.priestessband.com/ )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Thursday, April 6 - Saturday, April 8
Signal Electronic Music Festival ( http://www.signalfest.com/ )
various locales, Chapel Hill

The Signal Electronic Music Festival is a giant multi-venue festival
that is about 80% DJ-based; the other 20% encompasses a range of other
options, from Jett Rink's Mike Walters playing his
homebrew/circuit-bent synths at Fuse on Friday night, to Robo Sapien's
laptop/hip-hop/electro-disco at Local 506 on Saturday night, to the
roll-on-the-floor noise of Boyzone, and the 21st-century-experimental
composers' collective Pulsoptional, both at Nightlight on Saturday
night.

Check out the complete lineup of events [*>
http://www.signalfest.com/events.html <*] here.

Thursday, April 6
Volcano ( http://www.volcanoisaband.com/ )
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Thursday, April 6
Ahleuchatistas ( http://www.ahleuchatistas.com/go.php ) , Calabi Yau (
http://www.calabiyau.com/ ) , Apis Bull ( http://www.apisbull.com/ )
Kings, Raleigh

Huge night of scribble- scrabble- scrobble gtr/bass/drums weirdness
from across NC. Ahleuchatistas are from Asheville, and they make fast
fluid mathy instrumental "rock" (as close to jazz, albeit with the
aforementioned g/b/d, so is that "post-rock"?) that reminds me a lot
of that classic 90s Chapel Hill band Tractor Hips.

Calabi Yau are from Charlotte, and they're a little more pulsing &
throbby. I've previously compared them to Primus-meets-Naked City but
that's not really accurate; I just like the mental picture it evokes.
And it's close enough.

Apis Bull are from New Bern (see, I told ya, statewide), and from what
I understand they're a duo featuring at least one ex-member (drummer?)
of the Kick Ass.

Thursday, April 6
David Karsten Daniels ( http://www.davidkarstendaniels.com/ ) ,
Dogme95 ( http://www.myspace.com/dogme95 )
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

David Karsten Daniels is my current favorite of the Bu Hanan stable of
artists (which is kinda funny, since he's in pretty much all of the
other Bu Hanan bands, and half of them are in his band as well), which
I guess means it's all down to the songwriting, and the singing. And
upon further reflection, I think it's likely simply that he writes
more songs with choruses than do his friends. I'm a sucker for a good
chorus.

Friday, April 7
Manamid ( http://www.manamid.com ) , Maple Stave (
http://www.maplestave.com ) , Monsonia ( http://www.monsonia.com )
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

Manamid are from Greensboro, and it has been so long since I've seen
them that I can't provide an accurate description. When they were
teenagers they were snotnosed punks, but that was (literally) 15+
years ago. Last time I saw them they were doing a chuggy/riffy
post-Fugazi postpunk thing.

Maple Stave are from Durham; they make a coiling/uncoiling powertrio
post-Slinty racket. Monsonia are from various points around the
Triangle; lately they're a gtr-drums duo. They're pretty Slinty/mathy
as well, or rather they were when they were a trio. I'm told they've
got a whole new set now. Both they & the Maple Stave are two of my
current fave bands in the Triangle.

Friday, April 7
Thunderlip ( http://www.thunderlip.com/ ) , Colossus (
http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou ) , Hell Razor (
http://www.myspace.com/hellrazornc )
Kings, Raleigh

Thunderlip are from Wilmington and they make an utterly overamped
"hell yeah!" evangelical hardrock/metal that takes a page or three
from the Valient Thorr playbook, only without all the stuff about
Venus.

Colossus are one of the several bands that ex-Scaries guitarist Bill
Fischer is in.

Saturday, April 8
Pleasant ( http://www.pleasantmusic.com ) , Charles Latham (
http://www.myspace.com/sircharleslatham ) , Private Eleanor (
http://www.privateeleanor.com/ )
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Pleasant used to be less-so; their first album is filled with crazy
squawked vocals and great torrents of guitar. Pixies-ish, sure, but
also Wiggle-ish. Their second album, recorded after a 2- or 3-year
break, finds them all married & mellow & introspective. For some
reason I haven't seen them since the release of their album, so I
don't even know how this new marital bliss has affected their live
show.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to Do, Week of March 30, 2006, grady, 03/30/2006