ch-scene - [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: New Orleans Zines, Sheldon Memorial...

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Internationalist Books <ibooks AT internationalistbooks.org>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: New Orleans Zines, Sheldon Memorial...
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:11:29 -0500

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin St
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919-942-1740
http://internationalistbooks.org/

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 19 - STORIES CARE FORGOT: AN ANTHOLOGY OF NEW ORLEANS ZINES @ IBOOKS, 4pm

Stories Care Forgot is an anthology of zines from and about New Orleans. For years the Crescent City's thriving punk and zine community has produced beautifully rendered volumes of writing and artwork. Authors have poured their hearts out, sharing their thoughts and opinions on music, politics, bikes, gentrification, gender, class and, of course, the city itself. These tales come complete with the beauty, sadness, strangeness and eccentricity that has drawn people to New Orleans for so long. Featured are selections from over a dozen zines including "Chainbreaker", "Nosedive", "Crude Noise", "Rocket Queen", "Emergency", "I Hate This Part of Texas" and "Chihuahua and Pitbull". In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, many of the originals of these zines have been lost or destroyed. This book serves not only as a preservation, but also, by donating author proceeds towards grassroots New Orleans organizations, as a step towards rebuilding that city that inspired and shaped the body of this work.

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 21 - BOB SHELDON MEMORIAL @ IBOOKS, 5:30pm

Internationalist Books and Community Center will commemorate the life
and legacy of its founder Bob Sheldon on the date of his murder 15 years
ago. On Tuesday, Feb. 21 at 5:30 PM, friends will gather to reflect on
memories of the late political activist, to dedicate a public memorial
in his honor, and to share their vision for the store as it begins its
25th Anniversary Celebration, which is ongoing throughout the year. The
event will take place at Internationalist Books located at 405 W.
Franklin St. For more information, call 942-1740 or go to:
www.ibooks25.blogspot.com.

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 23 - 'INDEPENDENT VOICES' SCREENING @ IBOOKS, 7pm

Please join us for an Independent Voices screening this Thursday at 7pm, followed by a discussion hosted by Indyvoices producer Elena Everett! We will feature segments on the legacy of environmental justice activist Nan Freeland, the campaign against the death penalty in North Carolina, and the upcoming SURGE conference in Durham.

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 1 - AGAINST THE GRAIN: EXPLORING GRASSROOTS AND LOCAL
MEDIA @ IBOOKS, 7pm

Join us for for this year’s first “Against the Grain: networking local
alternatives”. In the current climate of questionable democracy and
corporate dominated news, finding different and autonomous means for
creating and disseminating news has never been more critical. Join us on
March 1st at 7pm as local media-makers and activists from Triangle Free
Press, The People’s Channel, Independent Voices, Underground magazines
and publishing houses discuss the projects they are a part of. Find out
everything from the technicalities of publishing to the broader visions
and political projects and problems underpinning them.

AGAINST THE GRAIN: Networking Local Alternatives
Chapel Hill and the surrounding area are filled with organizations,
groups and businesses that are daily enacting ways of living within and
against the current system. Collective bookstores, cooperative living
communities, biofuel collectives and experiments in public television,
we are all involved—albeit differently—in projects that attempt to make
the world a better place as we get on with our daily lives and work.
Too often, however, we do so without a recognition about how many
others are out there doing amazing things, we miss out on the potential
learning and growth we could all get from one another if we told our
stories and though together about the possibilities, problems and goals
of our projects—both individually and collectively as part of a larger
movement and community.

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS -- SOUNDSCAPE MOVEMENT FEST

The 2006 SoundScape Movement Fest is currently accepting submissions for
performers, teachers and volunteers for Thursday May 18 to Sunday, May
21st. The SoundScape Movement Fest will foster the education and art of
live music and dance collaboration. It is a two-track event featuring
educational based workshops highlighting all aspects of production.
Workshops range from improvisation, sound/audio production, video
production, grant-writing and screen printing. The festival will feature
nightly performances by local and touring artists at several diverse
venues including the Nightlight, the Carrboro ArtsCenter, the Local 506,
Balanced Movement, Carolina Fitness, and the Internationalist Bookstore
& Community Center. Our mission is to provide an alternative environment
for ground-breaking provocative, and artistic collaborations.

Please send all proposals for workshops or
performances and video materials to:
Alexis Mastromichalis
208 A. Purefoy Rd.
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
info at soundscapefest.org
919.923.7910
Deadline: March 15, 2006

  • [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: New Orleans Zines, Sheldon Memorial..., Internationalist Books, 02/16/2006