ch-scene - Re: best way to support artists?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: best way to support artists?
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 22:12:23 -0500

By buying merch from them at the club after you've bought a ticket to see them live. You can also just hand them $10, although most of them would probably be flummoxed by this move. Then again, lately I seem to find myself wanting to buy merch from an unattended table, so I usually take what I want & stick the money into the plastic bin with the rest of the band's merch that's always sitting behind the table. When you do it that way, you can stick as much in there as you want ;-)

One would hope that buying CDs direct from the label would result in more money for the artist, but it's likely that many contracts don't differentiate between various retail outlets (except in the case of co-op advertising deals with various retailers, in which the label uses the artist's money to buy preferential placement on those displays at the ends of the shelves or whatever), so it's possible that buying direct from the label just gives the label a slightly larger % of the income. Although if you're talking about an indie label, giving them an extra buck is probably going to benefit the artists on the label one way or another anyway, indirectly, if only by keeping the label a viable concern.

In any case, there is no "standard" label contract, so it's hard to predict what's going to net the artist the most $$, other than that it's a safe bet that the margin on those $10 - $15 t-shirts is a wee bit higher than on the CDs.

Sarah Freeman wrote:
by buying tickets to see them live. s