ch-scene - Ms. Films Benefit tomorrow 2/11!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Ms. Films" <msfilms AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Ms. Films Benefit tomorrow 2/11!
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:35:06 +0000

Put those cans of pbr in the fridge tonight so they're ready for tomorrow's benefit show - Eyes to Space, Kolyma, and Cantwell, Gomez, and Jordan are read to rock to support Ms. Films and we need you there, shaking your booty. or at least bobbing your head.

Duke Coffeehouse : doors at 8pm : show at 9pm : cover 6 bucks

Thank you!

Ms. Films is Feb. 23-26, our theme is ACTIVISM THROUGH MEDIA and everyone is invited! We have some great programs this year and it should be a blast. More details are at msfilms.org
here's some of what's in store:

-- "Living Room: Space and Place in Infoshop Culture" - a documentary about infoshops and infoshop culture, public spaces and activist communities. The screening will be followed by a panel discussion about public space, building community, and ideas about creating a public space Infoshop in Durham. Panelists include folks from Internationalist Books, plus some small press distro owners who are active in the Infoshop community, and we'll talk with some folks who are starting an infoshop space right here in Durham!

--"Ladyfesto" - A documentary shot during Ladyfest Philly in March 2003. Both an account of the festival and a guide to DIY political and artistic organizing, the screening will be followed by a discussion about independent women's festivals and conferences such as Ladyfest, the Southern Girls Convention, Ms. Films, etc. that both showcase the work of women and offer tools of empowerment in a variety of media. We will also discuss the role of media in events such as these, the challenges in documenting women in the arts and in organizing events such as these, and the audience will be invited to ask questions and make comments.

-- Workshops (details at msfilms.org):
Flash Animation for Websites
Stop-Motion on the Fly (intensive)
Telling Your Story With Zines
Craftivism: A New Approach to Do-It-Yourself Activism
Cut & Paste: Reuse and Resistance in Creating Recycled Media
Editing with Final Cut Pro
Moviemaking 101: An Overview of the Basics

-- Screenings:
Two diverse curated screening programs from our submitted films
Reel Grrls: teenage girl activists making media for social change
Subcontinental Divas: Spotlight on Indian Women Filmmakers

  • Ms. Films Benefit tomorrow 2/11!, Ms. Films, 02/10/2006