ch-scene - [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: Desert City Poetry, Bob Sheldon Memorial, and more...

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Internationalist Books <ibooks AT internationalistbooks.org>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: Desert City Poetry, Bob Sheldon Memorial, and more...
  • Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 13:07:12 -0500

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin St
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919-942-1740
http://internationalistbooks.org/

*TONIGHT* HELP CELEBRATE 25 YEARS OF INTERNATIONALIST BOOKS
TUESDAY, FEB 7 @ IBOOKS, 7:30pm

Internationalist Books and Community Center openly invites the general
public to participate in shaping the vision for the bookstore as we
celebrate our 25th Anniversary in 2006. We will be holding our next
meeting on Tuesday February 7th at 7:30pm at the bookstore to further
discuss the ongoing planning effort for three large commemorative
events, as well as other programs throughout the year. We're looking
for former volunteers who have been away from home for a while but would
like to return to short-term service. We're looking for friends of Bob
Sheldon who would like to help us carry on with his legacy. We're
looking for motivated community members who are looking for new ways to
champion the rights of workers, and other underrepresented groups.

If you can't make it but still want to be involved with this year's
celebration, check in on our efforts at our blog
(www.ibooks25.blogspot.com). You can also contact us by phone
(942-1740), email (ibooks at internationalistbooks.org), or stop by to
learn how you can help.

*THIS* SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 11 - DESERT CITY POETRY SERIES: CLAUDIA RANKINE & CHRISTOPHER DAVIS @ IBOOKS, 8pm

On February 11th the Desert City Poetry Series holds its second reading of the year at Internationalist Books. This Saturday will feature Claudia Rankine, author of "Don't Let Me Be Lonely," "PLOT," "The End of the Alphabet," and Academy of American Poets Fellow. We will also welcome Christophe Davis, author of "History of the Only War," "The Patriot," and UNC-Charlotte Professor.

Ken Rumble would like me to include that Ms. Rankine invented the letter "Z", and Mr. Davis took over when Hercules retired. Questions about these anecdotes and anything regarding Desert City can be directed to the wayward rumblek AT bellsouth.net. $2 donation requested to support the series & the readers.

Other upcoming DCPS readings:
March 25th, 8pm: Ron Silliman & Selah Saterstrom
April 22nd, 8pm: Emmanuel Hocquard & Rosmarie Waldrop

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 21 - BOB SHELDON MEMORIAL @ IBOOKS, 5:30pm

Internationalist Books and Community Center will commemorate the life and legacy of its founder Bob Sheldon on the date of his murder 15 years ago. On Tuesday, Feb. 21 at 5:30 PM, friends will gather to reflect on memories of the late political activist, to dedicate a public memorial in his honor, and to share their vision for the store as it begins its 25th Anniversary Celebration, which is ongoing throughout the year. The event will take place at Internationalist Books located at 405 W. Franklin St. For more information, call 942-1740 or go to:
www.ibooks25.blogspot.com.

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 1 - AGAINST THE GRAIN: EXPLORING GRASSROOTS AND LOCAL MEDIA @ IBOOKS, 7pm

Join us for for this year’s first “Against the Grain: networking local
alternatives”. In the current climate of questionable democracy and corporate dominated news, finding different and autonomous means for creating and disseminating news has never been more critical. Join us on March 1st at 7pm as local media-makers and activists from Triangle Free Press, The People’s Channel, Independent Voices, Underground magazines and publishing houses discuss the projects they are a part of. Find out everything from the technicalities of publishing to the broader visions and political projects and problems underpinning them.

AGAINST THE GRAIN: Networking Local Alternatives
Chapel Hill and the surrounding area are filled with organizations,
groups and businesses that are daily enacting ways of living within and
against the current system. Collective bookstores, cooperative living
communities, biofuel collectives and experiments in public television,
we are all involved—albeit differently—in projects that attempt to make
the world a better place as we get on with our daily lives and work.
Too often, however, we do so without a recognition about how many
others are out there doing amazing things, we miss out on the potential
learning and growth we could all get from one another if we told our
stories and though together about the possibilities, problems and goals
of our projects—both individually and collectively as part of a larger
movement and community.

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS -- SOUNDSCAPE MOVEMENT FEST

The 2006 SoundScape Movement Fest is currently accepting submissions for performers, teachers and volunteers for Thursday May 18 to Sunday, May 21st. The SoundScape Movement Fest will foster the education and art of live music and dance collaboration. It is a two-track event featuring educational based workshops highlighting all aspects of production. Workshops range from improvisation, sound/audio production, video production, grant-writing and screen printing. The festival will feature nightly performances by local and touring artists at several diverse venues including the Nightlight, the Carrboro ArtsCenter, the Local 506, Balanced Movement, Carolina Fitness, and the Internationalist Bookstore & Community Center. Our mission is to provide an alternative environment for ground-breaking provocative, and artistic collaborations.

Please send all proposals for workshops or
performances and video materials to:
Alexis Mastromichalis
208 A. Purefoy Rd.
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
info AT soundscapefest.org
919.923.7910
Deadline: March 15, 2006

  • [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: Desert City Poetry, Bob Sheldon Memorial, and more..., Internationalist Books, 02/07/2006