ch-scene - Re: Triangle Clubs....

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: tommy gibson <tcgibson AT mindspring.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Triangle Clubs....
  • Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 20:44:08 GMT

grady wrote:

> Cat's Cradle is best, both for having [slightly] earlier start-times and
> for actually starting on time, although Local 506 has gotten better
> about the on-time starts since Glenn bought it. However, on a three-band
> bill, there's a lot of potential slush-time between bands, so if the 2nd
> band or headliner wants to stall, it's hard to control that.
>
> In my experience at the smaller (<300 people) clubs, the bands are often
> more or less in charge of deciding to go on, and thus the quintessential
> Triangle-area chicken-or-egg syndrome flourishes: "I'm not going on
> until some people show up!" vs "I'm not showing up til late, because the
> shows always start late anyways, and I don't want to hang around an
> empty club."

Well said.
And, while I hate to encourage the chicken syndrome with my eggishness,
the truth is: if a band I wanna' see is playing, I'm probably gonna' go.
If that
means staying out late (which it usually does), so be it. I realize
that a lot
of local/semi-local musicians have day jobs (as do club staffers) - thus, an
earlier start time isn't always feasible.