ch-scene - Re: Triangle Clubs....

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: John Iwaniszek <not AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Triangle Clubs....
  • Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 18:39:19 GMT

tommy gibson wrote:

> John Iwaniszek wrote:
>> mattt317 AT yahoo.com wrote:
>>

>>> hello all,
>>>
>>> i just moved to raleigh in november, and just found
>>> this list last week... sorta like from my old home
>>> town, i had/have the sf_indie list....
>>>
>>> since arriving, i've noticed one BIG difference about
>>> shows out here... maybe the reason alot of people are
>>> hesitant to head out to the clubs...
>>>
>>> They end soooo late.... all five shows I've been to
>>> ended close to or right at 2 AM, plus the drive
>>> home.... this happened to me...twice at Kings (no
>>> reason MC Chris had to perform until 2 AM on a
>>> Tuesday), twice at the Cat's Cradle, and once at the
>>> Lincoln. On A Friday or Saturday night, it's cool, but
>>> on Monday through Thursday, don't we all want to wake up
>>> in the morning?
>>>
>>> M-Th - Doors 7 / Show 8....
>>> and really start before 8:30, over around 12...
>>> does it make sense.... ?
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if Local 506 is non-smoking like the
>>> Cat's Cradle? I dig non-smoking...
>>>
>>> That said looking forward to checking out some local
>>> music now that I've found the source.... & i'm
>>> looking forward to the fiery furnace next week!
>>>
>>> Cheers, Matt
>>>

>> The late start times in this area have always been a barrier to my
>> going out.
>

> A couple o' months ago, I noticed that 2 bands I really wanted
> to see were both playing on the same night at The Cave - one slated
> to play the early show and one the late show.
> The "7:30 early show" didn't start until a bit after 9.
> I had a blast and I'm glad I went, but I could've made better use of
> that "pre-show" time. And, had I known I was gonna' be out late on
> a school night, I would've taken a nap or made plans to go into work
> late the next day. I'm old. I need my sleep.

I didn't want to mention the other side of the issue: published start
times seem to be far earlier than actual show times. But now that both
are on the table, I think it is fair to say that late starting shows are
a real problem for me and my ilk (mid-40s, professional, family) being
able to get out and see local and national acts at area venues. (not to
performers and club owners: I usually buy a band's cd if I see their
show. The law of averages says that my ilk does, too.)

Two shows I recall really enjoying, but ultimately being too fatigued to
hang on for, were The Specials at the Cat's Cradle where even the warm-up
band started late and the main act didn't start until after 12, and
Israel Vibration at the Palace International, where the headliners didn't
sashay in until after 1. Those were both serious cases of fan abuse,
from my point of view.

However, I don't think it was the venue's fault. I have been to shows at
both and other clubs with acts of similar and less stature and have been
pleased with the (although late in terms of hour) show start-times. It's
usually the pros: Gatemouth Brown, Mallathini, The Selector, etc. who
start on time, while the slack collectives (Fela, Israel Vibration) who
seem to not give a rat's ass. Hungry little combos like to start on
time, and in-sane duos are all over the map

Obviously, technical difficulties and travel snafus can foul up anyone's
schedules, but so can uncooperative and childish band members.

Anyway, there is money to be made from my ilk and it would be great if we
were considered in the mix when dates and times were planned.