ch-scene - Re: Tuesday Indie Rock{offtopic}

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: musicscribe AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Tuesday Indie Rock{offtopic}
  • Date: 3 Feb 2006 14:38:52 -0800

I don't know about the scope with regards to a place like 506 or a
smaller venue, but i can tell you that one of my favorite things about
the First Avenue (which is the size of say, the Bowery or Black Cat)
was they would give away tickets to future shows at the bar, and they
would seed the bar area with like 2 for 1 tickets to the dance club.
there were so many shows I went to that I really didn't know who the
band was (Yerba Buena? What the hell, I got a free ticket), and, of
course, if I'm at a show I drink, so I was probably a net gain most
nights for the club. (especially when I was 22-26). While the First
Ave did this with lots of national touring shows, I think this could be
great for local shows. Maybe give a few to places like School kids (in
fact, the Electric Fetus, the mpls record store where Slug of
Rhymesayers used to work, also gave out free tickets), or even Duke
Coffeehouse, for example. don't know, just thinking. I mean, gee I
would've loved if just 2-3 more people had gone to the Frank Jordan
show two years ago...