ch-scene - Re: Durham music scene

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Durham music scene
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:38:11 -0500

James:

Surely you wouldn't question the Public Relations Skills of a Help Desk Manager at Southern Private University, would you? I'm sure he picked up that "call them gay" strategy in one of his mandatory Diversity Training Workshops.

What do you have against the rebirth of the Downtown Durham Scene anyway? Why does Durham always have to fall apart into regional factionalism? Lakewood vs. Hope Valley vs. Old North Durham vs. Downtown; every time a hot club gets going in one of the old neighborhoods, it's just a never-ending stream of Hating from Hepler until the whole thing collapses.

Ross

James Hepler wrote:
Well, the "he" is obviously the one talking to us like
a frigging commercial. The "we" is obviously the
audience, or as "he" sees it, the market.

It was funny. I read my post over and over again
before I hit send, thinking that I ought to put
something in it to make it clear that I was trying to
be funny since not everyone here knows that I've
always had trouble defining the "scene". So I
considered adding some sort of emoticon to clue the
people who don't know me as well in on the fact that I
wasn't being serious. But you know, I think it turned
out even better this way. I mean, with so many
intelligent, wonderful people here, I think it's good
that we have a reminder that there are still people
here who think that "you're gay" is a fitting insult.

--- Matthew Paul <mpaulREMOVETHIS AT heplerisgay.edu>
wrote:

James Hepler wrote:
OK, so you're obviously a promoter. Do you really
think you can tell US what the scene is? WE ARE
THE
SCENE, man. You don't tell us, WE TELL YOU. You
can
take your scene and create a myspace account for
it.
This one is open:

http://www.myspace.com/WeDon'tGiveAFuck

Think I'm kidding around? I challenged the entire
town of Marietta, OH to a fight today and NO ONE
had
the guts to take me up on it.

If he posts here doesn't that make him part of your
"we?" Or is there
some special signature or something that the "we"
you speak of, use to
indicate who can post about the "scene?" Am I part
of the "they?" (most
likely not) Or perhaps there is a whole other
newsgroup for the cool
people. Like: alt.jameshepler.isafuckingasshole
-- ch-scene: the list that mirrors
alt.music.chapel-hill --