ch-scene - Stuff to Do, Week of January 11, 2006

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to Do, Week of January 11, 2006
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:12:34 -0500

If you're sitting at work with a decent pair of speakers and a fat [network] pipe, go check out http://www.ncmusichistory.com & get caught up on what was happening in Winston-Salem (and, to a lesser extent, the Triangle) in the 80s & early 90s.

Stuff:

Wednesday, January 11
Hope for a Golden Summer [http://www.hopeforagoldensummer.com/], Liz
Durrett [http://www.lizdurrett.com/], Tin Cup Prophette
[http://www.tincupprophette.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, January 11
Can Joann [http://www.canjoann.com/], Cities
[http://www.citiesmusic.com], The Capulets
[http://www.thecapulets.net], Contract Camp
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

The Torch Marauder
[http://www.silbermedia.com/qrd/archives/29tm-voivod.html] wrote
recently about several alliterative metal shows he witnessed in 80s
Chicago, but they were all just 2-band bills. Ladies and Gentlemen, I
submit for your approval: a 4-band alliterative bill. Someone at
Wetlands is still chuckling to him/herself about this one.

At least three of the four are youthful attractive
next-big-things-to-be, or so they might like you to think.
Capulets:Strokes::Cities:Interpol?

Thursday, January 12
A/V Geeks [http://www.avgeeks.com]
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Skip owns 10s of 1000s of 16mm educational films; he usually narrows
that down to 5-6 to show you at one of his A/V Geeks shows. Here he is
to explain this month's theme:

*We Are Driven *Films about the automobile - how they are made, how we
drive them and adore them. Films include: *What Made Sammy Speed, Stop
Driving Us Crazy!, Triumph at Daytona *and more! Bring a friend! Door
prizes. 9:00p.m. *Suggested Donation $3.

Thursday, January 12
Dead Elephant Bicycle, Ricky Fitts
[http://www.myspace.com/rickyfitts], Wolverines
[http://www.wolverinesrock.com/]
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

Chaz is just having show after show after show at his new record store
next to Cosmic Cantina on the 2nd floor around the corner from 9th
Street in Durham. The only problem is that he has to move all the CD
display racks out of the way, so it's really hard to shop, which means
he's definitely not making any money on these, even tertiarily. So
either go by early (they'll talk like things'll start at 9:00 but
maybe 9:30 is more likely, so go by at 8:30 and you'll have time to
shop *and* help him move the furniture) or stop in any other day of
the week.

I'm told Wolverines are from Greensboro, but since the MySpace music
player thing only plays when I'm trying to concentrate on something
else, and never when I want it to, I dunno what they sound like.

Dead Elephant Bicycle are from Winston-Salem, I believe, and they've
got cellos. Plural. Or at least they did the one time I saw them.

Thursday, January 12
Nathan Asher & the Infantry [http://www.nathanasher.com/], Mt. Moriah
[http://www.coldheavenrecordings.com/], Starting Tuesday
[http://www.startingtuesday.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, January 13
Jett Rink [http://www.jett-rink.com/], Dirty Little Heaters
[http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters], White Elephant
[http://www.myspace.com/whiteelephantch]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

White Elephant are a sort of Local 506 supergroup featuring
barman/superstar Johnny Dzubak and sometime-doorman Cam Weeks. Jett
Rink you know about - new-wave/surf/punk/disco that drives the young
girls wild. Or they did *last* year -- it's a whole different crop of
young girls this year; will they be susceptible to Viva's wily ways?

Dirty Little Heaters are an all-woman gtr/drums duo from Durham.

Friday, January 13
The Dynamite Brothers [http://www.dynamitebrothers.com/], Red Smokes
White
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Saturday, January 14
Tricky the Cosmonaut, Shipwrecker, Captain Saturn
Joe & Jo's, Durham

Tricky the Cosmonaut were Wilmington pop superstars back in the 90s
sometime; they split up at the height of their stardom, but one-by-one
the individual members have found their way to Durham. You know 'em:
Dave Bjorkback played drums for Razzle & currently fronts the Wusses;
he's also distantly related to the Torch Marauder. Bob Wall played
guitar for Razzle & currently plays piano for the Wusses, and drums
for Hotel Motel, along with some knob-twiddling in Spacelab. Mark
Detlef Riebold is the odd man out; I'm not sure what he's done since
breaking up Tricky.

Anyway, no matter, they're back together, although for this show it's
going to be "original" (pre-Bob) Tricky, just Detlef & Bjorkback.

Shipwrecker is a brand-new Durham band & thus nobody knows nothing.

Captain Saturn runs Spacelab recording studio (no relation) and is one
of the 14 guitarists in the Wusses. This is his first solo show in
like a decade.

Sunday, January 15
RogerWarrenBeebe
305 South, Durham

Roger used to run Flicker, and is an all-around swell guy. Here's the
blurb I got the other day (show at 7:00p.m.):

Roger Beebe, former Flicker honcho and current University of Florida
film professor, is returning to the Triangle in January to show the
films he’s made in the five years since he left North Carolina plus
a few classics from the vault. These films vary widely in form (from
slow, contemplative films to aggressive collages), in medium (from
digital video to super 8mm and 16mm film), and in tone (from comic to
poetic); but what they share is an interest in using experimental
forms to think about some aspect of our contemporary world, whether
that be the complexity of race (“Famous Irish Americans”), gender
and performance (“A Woman, A Mirror”) or, perhaps most centrally,
the transformation of (sub)urban space (“The Strip Mall Trilogy”
and “S A V E”).

Sunday, January 15
Street Sharks, Pink Razors
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

Sunday, January 15
Hide and Seek [http://www.freewebs.com/hideandseeek], Leslie and the
Lys [http://www.leslieandthelys.com], Robo Sapien
[http://www.gorobosapien.com/]
The Werehouse, Winston-Salem

Leslie & the Lys played Nightlight last year, and even despite the
ongoing DVD-player problems that ultimately derailed the show, it was
utter genius. Leslie is the Gem Sweater lady, and if you don't know
what I'm talking about, then either Google or get off. Or both. Her
show consists of an excruciatingly elaborate DVD she's assembled with
her backing tracks spliced in over whatever 70s/80s TV/video weirdness
she feels like using, plus some Palmeresque dance-syncing "backup
musicians." It's pretty much impossible to explain, so I won't.

Robosapien are two disturbingly hyper kids who moved here from San
Francisco via Chicago; they make beats+loops on the laptop & then much
rapping, singing & elaborate synchronized dancing ensues.

Tuesday, January 17
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan [http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com], Dirty
Little Heaters [http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters]
The Library, Chapel Hill

Cantwell Gomez & Jordan are my favorite band; sometimes I wake up in
the middle of the night & can't get to sleep for worrying about what
will happen when David Jordan finally loses or breaks that red
Digitech Whammy pedal he plays through, because I'll betcha the
reissue don't sound the same.

Not that it would matter; the whole point of their genius is their
ability to take whatever raw material happens to be available, and
twist it to their own perverse ends.

Wednesday, January 18
The Kick Ass [http://bifocalmedia.com/ourbands/thekickass.html],
Caltrop, Chachalaca
Reservoir, Carrboro

Caltrop feature ex-members of the Ladderback and El Sucio; they're
extraordinarily sludgy, without being quite as self-consciously so as
Melvins. The Kick Ass play absurdly showoffy instru-metal; the showing
off is the point, & thus the more absurdly so, the better.

Thursday, January 19
Tiger Bear Wolf, Birds of Avalon
[http://www.myspace.com/birdsofavalon], Thunderlip
[http://www.thunderlip.com/], Caltrop
Marvell Building, Durham

Caltrop are ex-El Sucio & are heavy-heavy-sludgy-Sabbathy-heavy.
Thunderlip are from Wilmington and play crazed evangelical
party-metal, like Valient Thorr without the Venus backstory. Birds of
Avalon performed as the Damned at this year's Great Cover-Up; they've
got ex-members of Cherry Valence and the Weather, as well as some
ringers from other current/former Raleigh bands. Tiger Bear Wolf are
the latest Greensboro sensation; they're carrying on that city's
decade-long tradition of heavy
post-hardcore/screamo-meet-indierock-guitar-weirdness hybridization.
They've got ex-Strunken White guitarist Noah Howard, too.

Thursday, January 19
Dead Elephant Bicycle, Akron/Family
[http://www.younggodrecords.com/product.asp?P_ID=37], Mi and L'au
[http://www.younggodrecords.com/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=85]