ch-scene - Re: Rhapsody for Macs

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bryk <lists AT bryk.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Rhapsody for Macs
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 16:43:33 -0500

On 16-Dec-05, at 2:34 PM, Chris Rossi wrote:

Chris Calloway wrote:
Il Rossi:
the
toby keith thing really bothers me, though.

sometimes they grow out of that. sometimes they don't.
i kind of wish i didn't know toby keith existed.

now, now. toby keith has written and/or cut some pretty great "sides". i do wish he was a redneck liberal rather than an opportunistic, jingoid tool of the military-industrial complex blah blah blah.

however, i'm sure i would have felt the same way about Merle Haggard if I'd been 35 and living around here when "Okie from Muskogee" was all over the radio. now I get and respect Hag's work deeply, even when i disagree with him. funny how time can divorce one's political biases from what's actually pretty good music.

whereas I'm not sure I need to listen to the Blow Monkeys much nowadays now that Thatcher's out of office. i think it's important to remember that great politics does not necessarily equal great music. (notwithstanding that, i'm gonna dig up Stations of the Crass when i get home...)