ch-scene - Re: Rhapsody for Macs

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Glenn Boothe / Local 506" <gboothe2 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Rhapsody for Macs
  • Date: 5 Jan 2006 20:40:43 -0800

Sorry for the delayed response (and even sorrier to flog a dead
thread.) But since this was addressed to me, I thought I'd answer (as
I got busy shortly after my original post and was never able to keep up
with the responses it spawned.)

As far as my conversion, my first computer was a Mac. I then bought a
PC laptop for business school, and even though I still prefered my Mac,
the mobility aspect eventually trumped the desktop. Of course, that
was before the crashes started. That computer crashed on me twice -
luckily I had backed up almost everything, but reinstalling Windows and
reloading files is still a hassle. After the second crash, I bought a
top of the line Dell laptop - and it was even worse. I went through
three hard-drive failures/replacements in two years. At this point, I
was self-employed and not tied to any company computer platform, so I
decided to switch back to Mac.*

And yes, the switch wasn't quite as easy as those Mac ads made it
appear a few years back. Despite using MS Office, there was no easy
way to transfer my Outlook address book into Entourage (as it's renamed
in Office for Macs.) There were some other annoyances such as given up
Rhapsody, but for the most part I'm happy. I've had some problem, but
nothing along the lines of losing everything on my computer.

And going back to Chris Calloways question, yes I am using Rhapsody on
my Mac now so it is up and running. I don't like it as much as the PC
version, but still better than not having access to it. I just love
seeing a bands name and being able to listen to their album minutes
later. Recent discoveries include Feist and Metric, simply by looking
at the Cradle schedule - two acts I wasn't that familiar with that I
now want to go see...glenn

* Also, during this time-period, I suffered a complete crash on my work
PC laptop which caused me to lose some important files I'd yet to back
up.