ch-scene - Re: OT: that new Windows vulnerability

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: OT: that new Windows vulnerability
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 10:15:52 -0500

I think I have to disagree with Chris, not because I trust Guilfanov,
but because I trust the ISC/SANS people. Go here & read the "trustworthy
computing" entry (a couple of entries down on the front page):
http://isc.sans.org/

[note: the following pissy rant isn't directed at Todd. I suspect it
probably applies to some of you, however, given how many of my
customers, in a supposedly "managed" corporate computing environment,
have these problems.]

Of course, this is all kind of pointless if you're the kind of person
who doesn't have *current* antivirus software installed on your machine,
and a personal firewall app, and who doesn't run windows update on a
regular basis to get all the *other* patches for all the *other*
vulnerabilities, many of which have also had well-publicized exploits in
the wild. There have been worse exploits than this one, in fact; this
one at least requires you to actively fire up a browser/mailreader and
engage in risky internet usage. Previous exploits have required nothing
more than plugging the goddamn machine into the network & turning it on.

So if you don't have yr other patches up to date, along with current
antivirus DAT files & a working personal firewall, then you may as well
continue to not worry about this exploit as well. Your machine is
probably already full of trojans & is a part of the worldwide zombie
network, happily mailing out spam and engaging in DDOS attacks, which
might explain that mysterious "slowness" that you've been blaming on its
age, or on Bill Gates.

I'm not going to start an OS flamewar over this. I'm running Linux on
this machine but I've got Windows machines here at home, and I support
Windows for a living.

Macs are pretty and overpriced and infuriatingly annoying to me, in
their obfuscation of all underlying technical details, although OSX is
better for that than previous versions, and most Mac users in most
situations don't need to care about that. And they are also more secure,
if only because of their relatively small market-share. And did I
mention pretty? Now if I can only get someone to explain to me how to
adjust the bitrate and the tag format in OggDropX . . .

Linux is a lot of fun if you're the kind of person who likes to spend 3
hours trying to get your machine to print to your home printer, even
though it was working the week before, and you didn't knowingly change
anything. I happen to be that kind of person, I guess; Windows just
isn't challenging enough for me anymore. In fact, though it's hard for a
lot of nerds to admit, shit just *works* in Windows XP, by and large,
without a lot of hair-tearing-out. Except for that little thing about
the constant security holes.

Happy New Year!

Ross