ch-scene - OT: that new Windows vulnerability

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Todd Morman" <tmorman AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: OT: that new Windows vulnerability
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 03:07:02 -0500

Seen at Metafilter: http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/47964.
Not a hoax: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/912840.mspx.

So, my question for the tech folks here is this: I've unregistered the
relevant .dll (non-geeks: it's ridiculously easy to do this; see below), but
want to know if I should install the third-party non-Microsoft patch now, or
wait for the official Microsoft version.

Please don't bother with the standard platform gloating noise; this seems
serious. Thanks.

todd

* Fellow computer idiots: To unregister the thing that might cause trouble,
just click "Start" then "Run" then paste "regsvr32 -u
%windir%\system32\shimgvw.dll" (without the quotes) into the box, then click
Ok, then Ok again. If I understand the Metafilter thread correctly, this is
not 100% safe, but it's a good start.