ch-scene - Re: Stuff to Do, Week of November 11, 2005

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Stuff to Do, Week of November 11, 2005
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:01:15 -0500

Right side, upstairs. Was High Strung up there? My vague recollection was that they shared a stairwell with Cosmic or the dance joint, but I don't really remember. Anyway, Chaz's is a nice comfy little joint; he needs to get some kind of GI-Normous sign, and make sure to leave the door open & the stereo cranked anytime he's open, in order to lure the Cosmic foot traffic up there.

Crowmeat Bob et al (what were they called last night? Savage Knights?) were extra-luxe with the two-sax thing. Nice mix of skronk and sort of stripped-down Morphiney groove.

xo

Ross

Chris Calloway wrote:
--- Nathaniel Florin <npflorin AT yahoo.com> wrote:
--- grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:

Grand-Opening time for Chaz's Bull City Records.
Chaz just moved here
(from Colorado, I think, though he's from Richmond
prior) and with a
heady dose of that outsider's optimism, he's
leased
a space next to
Cosmic Cantina in Durham, and he's opened a record
store.
Wait, downstairs? That's the late-80s site of
Poindexter's, where I invested all my paper route
money in Echo & the Bunnymen albums, or next door to
it, right? Or is my memory going in my old age? Is
this the completion of a karmic circle?

next to cosmic would be upstairs, unless cosmic has
moved while i wasn't looking. downstair was the
cosmic-owned "new york bar" or whatever it was called
where countdown quartet or malt swagger would
occasionally play. great martinis.

upstairs beside cosmic would either be the 9th st
dance space, or the high strung guitar repair shop.

yeah, i shared your confusion. when i first saw the
street number address of bull city recs, i thought,
wow, back in the old poindexter space? when
francesca's first opened it was next door to the perry
st poindexter, also. ice cream and records.

or maybe i'm confused and cosmic moved. it's been
months since i've driven down perry street. i don't
know my own town anymore.

3