ch-scene - Stuff to Do, Week of November 11, 2005

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to Do, Week of November 11, 2005
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:51:49 -0500

I have a cold, so y'all can write yr own blurbs & whatnot:

Friday, November 11
Super Furry Animals [http://www.superfurry.com/], Caribou
[http://www.caribou.fm]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, November 11
The Young Idea [http://www.theyoungidea.com], On Three
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, November 11
Weisstronauts [http://www.weissy.com/weisstronauts/], The Dynamite
Brothers [http://www.dynamitebrothers.com/], Killer Filler
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, November 11
Patty Hurst Shifter [http://www.pattyhurstshifter.com], Schooner
[http://www.schoonermusic.com]
Kings, Raleigh

Saturday, November 12
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan [http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com]
Chaz's Bull City Records, Durham

Grand-Opening time for Chaz's Bull City Records. Chaz just moved here
(from Colorado, I think, though he's from Richmond prior) and with a
heady dose of that outsider's optimism, he's leased a space next to
Cosmic Cantina in Durham, and he's opened a record store. With his
promised mix of indie/punk, soul, country & rock'n'roll, along with a
couch, rockshows & movie screenings, it could wind up a cross between
CD Alley, Poindexter & Gate City Noise (not to mention our dear
departed Radio Free). Or it could wind up closed. It's up to y'all.

Cantwell Gomez & Jordan kick off the in-store rockshow series with a
live set at 7:00.

Saturday, November 12
The Moaners, Finks [http://www.psychicrevolution.com/finkssongs.html],
Erie Choir, Summer Set [http://www.summersetworld.com ], Fashion
Design [http://fashiondesignband.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is the first Triangle-area CD-release party for the brand-new
Compulation Volume 2, which is every bit as wall-to-wall crucial as
Volume 1 was. I'm told $8 gets you in the door, plus cake, plus a copy
of the CD, plus free admission to the rest of the CD-release shows,
including one next weekend in Raleigh.

Seriously, y'all, regardless of whether you pride yourself on keeping
up with the local-music scene, or you pride yourself on *not* keeping
up, you need this CD, if only just for the knockout Work Clothes track
that leads it off. Lightyears ahead. Plus Summer Set are from
Wilmington & they only play up here like 2x a year, *and* their first
EP was one of my faves this year. Or was that last year? Still is,
either way.

Saturday, November 12
La Noche del Destino [http://www.superluchadores.com/], Renelvis
Kings, Raleigh

I got this mysterious email the other day:

On Saturday, November 12th, behold "¡La Noche Del Destino!"

The world's greatest [fake] Mexican wrestling theatre event, comes to
Kings Barcade in Raleigh.

Marvel at the Philipino enhanced Elvis styling of the amazing
Renelvis! Bask in the glow of the odd sounds emitted by the
T.U.R.D.S.

Thrill as La Pinata squares off with the maniacal German robot, El
Destroyo 138, as they fight to the death! Witness the sleazy dealings
of Dirty Willy Martini and his #1 wrestler, El Conejo Malo! Cringe in
fear as Fur-Kitty El Gato's evil plan unfolds! And most importantly...
PREPARE YOURSELF for the TRUTH about the disappearance of Senor
Pantalones!

Plus, you can win spectacular prizes with the game of seduction,
Mexican bingo! Come early!

Saturday, November 12
Tennis and the Mennonites [http://www.tennisandthemennonites.com],
Thomas Costello
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Saturday, November 12
Calvin Johnson [http://www.kpunk.com], Tender Forever
[http://www.takemybreathaway.net/]
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Saturday, November 12
David Karsten Daniels [http://www.davidkarstendaniels.com/], T.
Griffin Coraline
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

The website originally listed Aimee Argote of des_ark as well, doing
her new solo thing, but now she's disappeared from the listing. You
takes yr chances. David Karsten Daniels is a member of the Bu Hanan
Collective of Sad Intelligent Boys with Guitars and a Laptop.

Sunday, November 13
David Karsten Daniels [http://www.davidkarstendaniels.com/]
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

David Karsten Daniels is one of those multi-instrumental semi-morose
singer-songwriter genius types over at Bu Hanan Records--they all play
on each others' records, and collectively make a skewed, occasionally
melodramatic art-folk/chamber-rock thing that melds squirrelly
electronic beats with acoustic guitar, plaintive voice, and great
washes of strings, both synthetic & non-. See how it turns out live at
5:00 p.m. @ 88.7FM or www.wxdu.org.

Sunday, November 13
Groovie Ghoulies, Helper Monkeys, Dollyrots
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, November 14
LCD Soundsystem [http://www.lcdsoundsystem.com/intro.php], The Juan
MacLean [http://www.thejuanmaclean.com/], Shit Robot