ch-scene - Asheville show: Barbez/Soora Gameela @ the Grey Eagle (fwd)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Christiane Voisin <voisc AT ils.unc.edu>
  • To: wxdu <internal AT wxdu.org>
  • Cc: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Asheville show: Barbez/Soora Gameela @ the Grey Eagle (fwd)
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 12:34:31 -0400 (EDT)

Barbez is currently on our playlist at WXDU.

i dig Soora Gameela more than i do Barbez; S.G'.s upright bass player says
they're "like the soundtrack to a sexy Turkish spy-movie." Here's a more
descriptive bit from the accordionist:

Using Middle Eastern scales and rhythms as reference points, this
Asheville, NC, trio navigates through multiple traditions and genres.
Their name--Egyptian Arabic for "beautiful picture"--refers to haunting
vignette/songs placed within a frame of improvisation. Instruments
include accordion, upright bass, hand percussion (frame drum, dumbek,
bendir, kanjira, cajon), and Egyptian spiked fiddle.

christiane

--------------------
Hello Soora Fans,

We're going to play another show with one of our favorite bands, Barbez!
Some of you might have heard them when we opened for them in the spring, or
also at the Ethermusic Theremin festival. They're back, and they have a new
cd! Their performance is not to be missed (unless you have a note from your
parent/guardian).

Barbez and Soora Gameela
at The Grey Eagle
Tuesday, October 4
9 pm.
tickets $8

Press for Barbez:

Barbez includes a brilliant theremin player who smokes cigarettes and a
full-throated Russian singer who comes across like Joan of Arc with a sense
of humor. They cover everything from Bertolt Brecht to Black Sabbath, but
the real attraction is their melodically haunting originals. With a
folk-music sound located somewhere between turn-of-century Eastern Europe
and modern America. -The New Yorker

Barbez's postmodern panbohemian fusion nods to Eastern European music,
klezmer, the French torch song, and pretty much everything in between.
Instruments include guitar, violin, theremin, marimba, and vibraphone, as
well as the lyrical, husky, and sometimes disturbing vocals of Saint
Petersburg-born Ksenia Vidyaykina. This would have been a far better sound
track for Moulin Rouge than the one it got. -Chicago Reader

for more info:

www.thegreyeagle.com
www.barbez.com

  • Asheville show: Barbez/Soora Gameela @ the Grey Eagle (fwd), Christiane Voisin, 10/03/2005