ch-scene - Indie Rock Karaoke

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT earthlink.net
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Indie Rock Karaoke
  • Date: 2 Sep 2005 18:52:24 -0700

In case you missed it, the N&O's What's Up section ran a piece on Indie
Rock Karaoke - one of my favorite things we do at Local 506. It'll be
happening again this Saturday...glenn

http://www.newsobserver.com/lifestyles/story/2777509p-9215869c.html

ps: I love the fact that I was able to find the link much more quickly
via google than search on the N&O's own page.

This is not your father's karaoke - By JENNIFER BRINGLE, Staff Writer

There are only so many times you can listen to a bunch of drunks sing
"Love Shack." So for those who can't stand that or another slurred
rendition of "I Will Survive," there's Indie Rock Karaoke.
"It's basically like regular karaoke," says Jon Mitchell, 35, a regular
at Indie Rock karaoke at Local 506 in Chapel Hill. "But with indie rock
karaoke, there's a much better song collection. I get to sing things
I've never sung before at regular karaoke."

Held regularly at Local 506, Indie Rock Karaoke's songs cover a wide
range of artists. There are tunes from lesser-known bands such as the
Geraldine Fibbers and Neutral Milk Hotel to indie rock staples such as
the Pixies, Dinosaur Jr. and Le Tigre.

"My favorite things to do are more garage rock like Chesterfield Kings
and the Electric Prunes," Mitchell says. "Alice Cooper is always fun,
too. So basically, my tastes really vary."

Since Chapel Hill is such a hotbed for musicians, indie rock in
particular, this karaoke draws a lot of singers who are genuinely
talented. But since karaoke is an equal-opportunity performance event,
a lot of bad singers rock the mike, too.

"It ranges from can-sing to cannot-sing, but it leans more to
cannot-sing," says Glenn Boothe, owner of Local 506. "But that's the
beauty of indie rock karaoke: You're not doing Celine Dion or Whitney
Houston, so it's not as hard."

The event also draws aspiring musicians looking for bandmates.

"I'm not in a band, but I want to be," says Lauren Friedman, 21, a
regular who recently won a Pavement singing contest held during the
karaoke. "One time when I was doing the karaoke, someone yelled, 'Why
aren't you in a band?' and I said, 'I don't know!' I was hoping by
doing the indie rock karaoke, all these bands would come up and ask me
to join, but it hasn't really happened."

For aspiring lead singers and tone-deaf pretenders alike, performing at
Local 506, a popular music venue that hosts local and national acts, is
half the fun.

"The other main difference from regular karaoke is it is at 506,"
Mitchell says. "And there's an actual stage, which I find a lot more
fun."

While the karaoke is relatively new, it has already developed a loyal
following. Karaoke junkies who've been dissatisfied with their
experiences at other karaoke events are finding that Indie Rock Karaoke
is just what they've been looking for.

"One reason it's great is because all the usual places I go, people
think I'm crazy," says Friedman of her experiences singing uncommon
songs at traditional karaoke events. "And they'll say stuff like,
'That's interesting.' But here, people are on the same page as me, and
I really appreciate it. It's really special."

Meanwhile

Celebrate Aggie-Eagle weekend in style at the A-List Chocolate Sunday
party at the Cardinal Club, 150 Fayetteville Street Mall, Raleigh.
There will be live jazz, DJs and hors d'oeuvres. Doors open at 9 p.m.
and tickets are available at www.alistnc.com.

Just in time for back-to-school season, college bar Pantana Bob's, 3025
Hillsborough St., Raleigh, has a new Thursday night party dubbed "Pick
Your Poison." Every Thursday, there will be penny drafts, 99 cent
bottles and $1.99 liquor drinks. DJ Sonar will be spinning; ladies get
in free until midnight. Details: 821-5445.

Staff writer Jennifer Bringle can be reached at 829-4627 or
jbringle AT newsobserver.com.

=A9 Copyright 2005, The News & Observer Publishing Company,
a subsidiary of The McClatchy Company

  • Indie Rock Karaoke, local506, 09/02/2005