ch-scene - any tips for setting up punk shows in Chapel Hill?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Ariel Dodug" <be_my_guitar_hero AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: any tips for setting up punk shows in Chapel Hill?
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:04:13 -0700

Hi,

So, Battleship, my friends' dub-influenced hardcore band (Sorry, I hate that description; theirs, though a little pretentious, is better: "too smart for rock and roll, too dumb for art rock") from Oakland, CA, will be touring the US this summer, and are looking for a show on October 2 in the Triangle. I think they've already unsuccessfully hit up the Night Light's booker.

Here's the link to their website: http://home.san.rr.com/tasteslikepoison/

Here's a link to a cover story on them in The San Francisco Bay Guardian, the Bay Area's best and largest independent weekly: http://www.sfbg.com/39/44/noise_battleship.html

And here's a link to an mp3 of one of the better songs from their record "Presents Princess", recorded by Greg Ashley of the Gris Gris (whose record I found at Schoolkids Records on my second day in Chapel Hill. Does anyone remember seeing them play around here?): http://home.san.rr.com/tasteslikepoison/Song_4_Lucy_Stone.mp3

Battleship are pretty neat, especially live. And they set up shows in Oakland and SF. Any ideas on venues or complementary bands? Do any warehouses in the area host shows?

Thanks,

Ed

'I was 21 years when I wrote this song. I'm 22 now, but I won't be for long.' - Billy Bragg

'Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal.' - T.S. Eliot

  • any tips for setting up punk shows in Chapel Hill?, Ariel Dodug, 08/23/2005