ch-scene - [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: 'The 2nd Hand, ' and volunteering is cool...

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Internationalist Books <ibooks AT internationalistbooks.org>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: 'The 2nd Hand, ' and volunteering is cool...
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:26:05 -0400

*WEDNESDAY, JULY 13 - TODD DILLS & 'THE 2ND HAND' @ INTERNATIONALIST*

Editor/writer Todd Dills and THE2NDHAND contributor Susannah Felts travel from Chicago to perform work from the book with Eric Amling, editor of Raleigh’s Optical Oak and Chapel Hill artist and writer Rafael Aviles. "All Hands On" features the best of five years of published writing in THE2NDHAND, Chicago’s broadsheet and online magazine
for new writing. The Chicago Tribune recently called Dills and THE2NDHAND "the direct center of the underground writing scene in Chicago." Copies on sale now at Internationalist Books.

*THE WOMEN'S CENTER OF CHAPEL HILL NEEDS YOUR HELP*
We are currently seeking First Response Volunteers (FRV's)!

The main responsibility of FRV's is to act as the first contact to
individuals who call or walk in to the Women's Center. This means
providing a welcoming atmosphere, assisting clients with understanding
the Center's services, assessing client's needs, and referring clients
to appropriate services. We are looking for people who want to help
women in the community, who are responsible, a team player & have the
desire to learn about social services in the local community! We are
also looking for people who are comfortable in approaching and greeting
all people who enter the Center, regardless of race, creed, color,
national origin, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or gender
identity. You must fill out a volunteer application. Also, there will be
a 6 hour mandatory training broken up for two consecutive days,
Wednesday, July 13th from 4:30-7:30 AND Wednesday, July 20th from
4:30-7:30. Snacks will be provided both sessions. Also, a required
meeting with the Volunteer Coordinator prior to enrollment to the
training is necessary.

If you would like to get involved, please contact the Volunteer
Coordinator at volunteer AT womenspace.org or call The Women's Center at
968-4610, 210 Henderson Street, Chapel Hill, NC. 27514

*VOLUNTEER AT YOUR FAVORITE BOOKSTORE (that's us)*

The summer months can be slow and empty... and so can the bookstore. Internationalist Books and Community Center is a local volunteer-run
nonprofit bookstore that provides a unique selection of alternative and
political books, magazines and more, as well as serving as a hub for the
local activist community. We are currently seeking volunteers for regular shifts and special projects. Regular shifts require a weekly commitment to a set 3-hour shift, but projects can be done on a flexible schedule. If you have experience with fundraising, marketing, or have other areas of expertise, we can find plenty for you to do! Volunteering at the Internationalist is a great way to develop your skills, learn more about the local community, meet great people, and spend more time around books. Call 919.942.1740 and ask for Sarah or email sarah AT internationalistbooks.org

  • [Internationalist Books] EVENTS: 'The 2nd Hand, ' and volunteering is cool..., Internationalist Books, 06/29/2005