ch-scene - evil I do not to not I live

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: evil I do not to not I live
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:21:12 -0400

I already have a copy (and $36 is more than I'd be willing to pay for a backup), but somebody might be interested to know that there's a copy of the local 5x7" box-set "Evil I Do Not (To Nod I Live)" on eBay, here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4737750344&rd=1

This set was sort of the "bridge" between the 80s punk/hardcore/whatever local-indie-music DIY scene and the 90s (really '88-onward) indie-rock DIY scene. Bands included in the box were blackgirls (Dana Kletter went on to form Dish & then recorded with her sister Karen as Dear Enemy as well as under their own names; Hollis Brown went on to play electric violin in several local prog bands; Lee Johnson published a zine called "eat my shit" which got her in trouble with the postal inspector, and later formed a metal band called Detura), Wwax (Wayne Taylor, later in Orifice; Brian Walsby, later in every other band in Raleigh; Mac McCaughan, later in Superchunk, duh), Slushpuppies (also Mac, plus people about whom I can't remember details because I'm at work), eggs (ditto, I can't dredge up data, sorry Gary), and Angels of Epistemology (buncha crazy geniuses including Sara Bell, later in Dish & now Shark Quest, and Jeb Bishop, who now plays trombone & lives in Chicago).

Hand-colored cover art & a multi-page booklet with a page for each band, yadda yadda. Entirely self-released.

Mac mentions it briefly here: http://www.magnetmagazine.com/interviews/mccaughan.html

"Well, one thing that always stuck out in my mind was actually before Merge. It was the first time I had any experience putting out records, and that was the Evil I Do Not box (an elaborately packaged five-45 singles box from 1987, featuring five Triangle bands, including two that McCaughan was in at the time, Wwax and Slushpuppies). That was a watershed because we had all local bands and we also managed to get the attention of the local press putting out this box set and having these shows at the Cat’s Cradle (in Chapel Hill) and the Brewery (in Raleigh), both of which were pretty big successes."

So either bid on it or make fun of people for wanting to pay that much for a bunch of moldy old records, OK?

xo

Ross

  • evil I do not to not I live, grady, 06/13/2005