ch-scene - stuff to do, week of June 3, 2005

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of June 3, 2005
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 14:31:34 -0400

Friday, June 3 - Sunday June 5
Hi Mom! Film Festival [http://www.himomfilmfest.org]
ArtsCenter, Carrboro (also Wetlands, Rosemary St Parking Deck, Fuse, and Skylight in Chapel Hill)

I love the Hi Mom! Film Fest - it has managed to grow gracefully & mature over the years, without ever letting go of the anarchic thrill-seeking this-had-better-be-good spirit it was born with. Here's the lowdown on what/when/where:

6 blocks of shorts featuring 67 films/videos/animations from around the country and world. We've got a great array of out-of-the-ordinary, no-fi-too-lo-or-hi short films to show you this year. New experimental block. Outdoor block. Midnight fun and raunch block. 3 mixed shorts blocks. Plus some pre-show music and bonus flicks. As always, the pancakes are FREE.

Friday:
9pm - Outdoor Block - 9pm sharp, Parking Deck Plaza between Franklin and Rosemary, beside Burrito Bunker. A family friendly mix of unique short films, videos, and animations.
11pm -Midnight Madness! w/DJs - Movies at 12, a fun, irreverent, raunchy, and dancy block, DJs before and after the films, the Wetlands (above Hell, below Bubs, across from the parking deck, corner of Rosemary and Henderson).

Saturday at The ArtsCenter:
2pm - Experimentaliciousness - a block of surreal, experimental, and unique short films, come early for music from John Harrison (N.Elementary)
5pm - DayToNight Block - an eclectic mix of short films, come early for music from David Nahm (Audubon Park)
9pm - HM!#8 PrimeTime Shorts - an eclectic mix of high impact shorts, come early for some bonus films.
(The ArtsCenter is in Carrboro next to Cat's Cradle and VisArt, 300-G East Main St.)
Afterparty Saturday - Fuse (403 W. Rosemary, next to Skylight Exchange) with special guests ???

Sunday at Skylight:
4pm - FestiRedux - winners, favorites, films not in the fest, we'll make it up on the day. Skylight Exchange (405 Rosemary), sandwich kitchen open.

Tix $3 to $5, fest pass for all 6 block is $15, available at CD Alley or www.himomfilmfest.org, ArtsCenter daypass available for $10. Website has some info including film titles/synopses, or find a program loitering around town..

Friday, June 3
des_ark [http://www.des-ark.org], The Crimson Spectre [http://www.slavemagazine.com/crimsonspectre/], Destroyed Tradition, Mika Bomb [http://www.mikabomb.com/]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Des_Ark you hopefully know about by now; their debut, Loose Lips Sink Ships, is the album in your collection that you feel most guilty about downloading instead of buying. Here's your chance to alleviate that.

Crimson Spectre are from Greensboro & they make fast Misfits-influenced hardcore about the daily struggles of working people (yes, and how one day they're gonna rise up. I think we gotta start by blowing up the TV transmitters, though.)

Mika Bomb are from Japan via the UK & they're another in the long/proud tradition of all-female Japanese garage-rock bands.

Friday, June 3
The Moaners, Doug Gillard [http://www.douggillard.com/], New Town Drunks [http://www.thirdmind.org/featured_artists/NTD/index.html]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Doug Gillard was in Death of Samantha & Cobra Verde, but once Bob Pollard nabbed CV to become the new Guided By Voices a few years ago, all those other bands don't get mentioned so much.

The Moaners are Melissa Swingle of Trailer Bride & Laura King (ex-Gerty, ex-Grand National). They're at their best when they're raging through their fast slide-fueled stompers, which comprise maybe half their repertoire.

Friday, June 3
Brite Boy, Marat [http://www.morisen.com/marat/], The Talk [http://www.the-talk.com]
Martin Street Music Hall, Raleigh

Saturday, June 4
Rilo Kiley [http://www.rilokiley.com/], Portastatic [http://www.portastatic.com], Brunettes [ http://www.lilchiefrecords.com/brunettes/]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, June 4
Fake Swedish [http://fakeswedish.4t.com/index.html], Black Taj, Birds of Avalon [http://www.myspace.com/birdsofavalon]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Fake Swedish are smart 60s-retro psych-rock from Chapel Hill, with impeccable arrangements and suitably wide neckties. Black Taj is a rockband with Steve Popson & Dave Brylawski of Polvo, plus Grant Tennille, who sat in on guitar for a couple of the more Led Zep numbers on Polvo's last LP, "Shapes." I haven't seen them, but I'm guessing (based on their cut on last year's WXYC Bandwidth comp) that Shapes' "Downtown Dedication" (or the aforementioned comp track, "Woke Up Tired") would be a pretty good starting point.

Birds of Avalon are one of the two results of the recent Cherry Valence split; El BOA, as they occasionally like to be called, are the side with Paul Siler & Cheetie Kumar, augmented by the Weather's Craig Tilley & a variety of other local rockers. ROCK show of the week.

"Woke Up Tired": http://www.wxyc.org/bandwidth/downloads/bandwidth/Bandwidth-Celebrating_10-Years_of_Internet_Radio_on_WXYC-Chapel_Hill/10%20-%20Black%20Taj%20-%20Woke%20Up%20Tired.mp3

Sunday, June 5
Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players [http://www.slideshowplayers.com/], Wowzs
Local 506, Chapel Hill

In case you missed the coverage in the national press: young indie-rocker nerd dad drafts preteen daughter to play drums while mom shows old slides of other peoples' vacations & he sings songs composed to match. Or something like that. Superstardom follows, & now they get to do fun stuff like playing Local 506 on a Sunday night with a $12 cover.

Tuesday, June 7
Air Conditioning, Rachel Jacobs [http://www.racheljacobs.net/], Lemuria, Princess, Black Widow
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

All these bands may or may not be playing on this bill, and there may or may not be others. des_ark *aren't* playing, despite what the Nightlight website says, nor apparently are Bellafea.

Air Conditioning are described by Nightlight thusly: "Bass, one drummer (a rotating crew that sometimes includes Dominique Ferrow aka PRURIENT) and guitar/electronics/processed vox and a wall of amps - essentially mind-frying rock for fans of Mainliner and Lightning Bolt. Voted most popular at last month's No Future Fest!"

Princess are apparently white-nerd hip-hop from Chicago. Black Widow are a high-school all-girl hip-hop outfit from Durham.

Tuesday, June 7
My Morning Jacket [http://www.mymorningjacket.com/], Parker & Lily [http://www.parkerandlily.com/]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, June 7
Marat [http://www.morisen.com/marat/], The Talk [http://www.the-talk.com], Elevator Action [http://www.elevatoractionband.com/], Alternative Champs [http://www.alternativechamps.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

MoRisen records is an odd little indie label from Charlotte, with a fairly deep stable of Charlotte artists plus a handful of Triangle bands, such as the now more-or-less defunct Jennyanykind, Snatches of Pink, and Marat, the glam-rockish outfit comprised of ex-What Peggy Wants frontman John Ensslin, Snatches singer/guitarist Michael Rank, and (last time I saw them) some ex-members of the Veldt.

Since this show is a MoRisen showcase, the bill is rounded out by three of their out-of-town bands: power-pop-punkers The Talk, alternarockers Elevator Action, and I don't know what to call the Alternative Champs.

Wednesday, June 8
des_ark [http://www.des-ark.org], Rachel Jacobs [http://www.racheljacobs.net/], Lemuria
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Aimee assures me that this show is happening, and given the utter disarray that is the Bickett website, I'm not going to take its absence there as proof of anything. Still, call ahead, maybe.

Wednesday, June 8
Art Lord and the Self Portraits [http://www.ideasforhousecrafts.com], Auto-Passion
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Art Lord and his Self-Portraits are a weird muttonchopped synth-pop band from Greenville with an elaborate backstory about cloning & lord knows what else. Auto-Passion are an indie-rock band from Winston-Salem who've just released a CD that I haven't been able to track down yet. They got a good review on the Teen Page, though. Oh yeah: this is a Free Show.

Teen Page: http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ/MGArticle/WSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031782734213

Thursday, June 9
Sam Prekop [http://www.thrilljockey.com/bandpage.html?artistnum=29], Archer Prewitt [http://www.thrilljockey.com/bandpage.html?artistnum=44]
ArtsCenter, Carrboro

Thursday, June 9
Melt-Banana [http://www.southern.com/southern/band/MELTB/], Vaz [http://www.thevaz.com/], All Astronauts [http://www.allastronauts.com/]
Kings, Raleigh

Melt-Banana strike a nice balance between immediate entertainment and all-out Japanoise assault; they're cute, their songs occasionally resemble "pop" songs, at least in their sing-songy-ness (albeit at max volume & breakneck speed), and singer YaSuKo O. is strangely charismatic as she yelps like a kicked puppy. They're the gateway drug into the otherwise fairly scary world of Japanoise, I guess.

Vaz are spoken highly of by people whose opinions I trust, but despite that I haven't seen or heard them. Hmm.

All Astronauts are from Winston-Salem and they make crashing dissonant-yet-anthemic rock.

Thursday, June 9
Hope for a Golden Summer [http://www.hopeforagoldensummer.com/], Racecar [http://www.purevolume.com/racecar], Mount Moriah
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, June 9
Inspectah Deck [http://www.loud.com/deck/], Afu-Ra [http://www.afu-ra.com/], Planet Asia [http://www.mcplanetasia.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, June 10
Kung Flude [http://www.kungflude.com/], The Dynamite Brothers [http://www.dynamitebrothers.com/], Rubber City Rebels [http://www.rubbercityrebels.com/], TuckerMason [http://www.tuckermason.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, June 11
Ahleuchatistas [http://www.ahleuchatistas.com/go.php], Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan [http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com], Cinemechanica [http://www.cinemechanica.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Cantwell Gomez & Jordan make noisy artrock that melds time-shifting jazz-influenced rhythm-section interplay with layers of punkrock fuzz and a fair amount of yelling of one kind or another.

Ahleuchatistas are from the Asheville area and they make fast spazzy instrumental avant-rock. Cinemechanica are from Athens & they've been described to me by friends as making Mathrock relevant again.

Sunday, June 12
The Robot Ate Me [http://www.therobotateme.com/], The Whole World Laughing, Dig Shovel Dig [http://www.digshoveldig.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Dig Shovel Dig are from Asheville & that's all I know about them. The Whole World Laughing are a two-piece consisting of Scotty "Clang Quartet" Irving on drums and Dave "Razzle, etc" Cantwell on massive bi-amped piercing-shriek bass action.

Sunday, June 12
Go-Betweens [http://www.go-betweens.net/], Okkervil River [http://www.okkervilriver.com/], Robert Skoro [http://www.robertskoro.com/]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro