ch-scene - stuff to do, week of May 20, 2005

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of May 20, 2005
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 20:00:57 -0400

It's not too late to catch Lightning Bolt in winston if you start driving soonish:

Friday, May 20
Lightning Bolt [http://www.fortthunder.org/music/lb/], Bug Sized Mind, Hide and Seek [http://www.freewebs.com/hideandseeek], Calabi Yau [http://www.calabiyau.com/], MorMon
The Werehouse, Winston-Salem

This is the only regional stop for Lightning Bolt, who have a near-universal reputation for phenomenality, or something along those lines. Also on the bill, the freaky spazzcore-meets-Primus noise of Charlotte's Calabi Yau, plus W-S's MorMon, described by Werehousers as "amazing christian noise/performance metal."

Friday, May 20
Dean Fields [http://www.deanfields.com/], Nathan Asher [http://www.nathanasher.com], Scott Phillips
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Friday, May 20
The Cartridge Family [http://www.cartridge-family.com/], Southern Bitch [http://www.southernbitch.org/], Hearts and Daggers
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, May 20
Cool John Ferguson [http://www.musicmaker.org/artistroster/Cooljohn.htm]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, May 21
Dexter Romweber [http://www.dexterromweber.com], Zen Frisbee, The Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers [http://www.prayersandtears.com/], Evil Wiener [http://www.evilwienerworld.com/], Jule Brown [http://www.julebrown.org]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a benefit for longtime local soundman Dave Schmitt, who like too many people in the local music community doesn't have health insurance, because the people who run this country think it's more important for insurance companies to get rich leeching off of our medical system than for everybody to have access to healthcare.

Anyway, so Dave needs some major dental work, and several of the countless (10s of 1000s, at least) bands he's worked with over the years are throwing this benefit to help out.

The show begins at 6:00 p.m. (really!) with Evil Weiner, their first show since bassist Groves Willer became a daddy. After that you've got the elaborate hyper-literate chamber-rock of PATOADS, plus Killer Filler, John Howie (do I even need to put $2 Pistols in these parentheses), Jule Brown, an incarnation of Zen Frisbee which is disclaimed as "lite" and I dunno what that means but even Lite Zen Frisbee is worth crossing town for; the New Orleans party-jazz of Countdown Quartet, and Dave's longtime friend and traveling companion Dexter Romweber.

Saturday, May 21
The Comas [http://www.thecomas.com], The Rosebuds [http://www.therosebuds.com/], Hopewell
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, May 21
Continent [http://216.117.191.68/continent/], The Kick Ass [http://bifocalmedia.com/ourbands/thekickass.html], Manamid [http://www.manamid.com]
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Wetlands Dancehall is the new incarnation of what used to be called the Treehouse, which is on the ground floor of that multi-club building that houses Hell in the basement and Bub O'Malley's up-top, at the intersection of Henderson and Rosemary in Chapel Hill. They've installed a proper stage & PA and are having rockbands. Go figure.

So this is a joint CD-release party for Continent and the Kickass, who are either each releasing a CD, or are releasing a split CD together. Not sure which. Either way, Continent are heavy/sludgy in a divinely pulsing/propulsive kind of way. The Kickass are an instru-metal band with way too many cymbals, unless you like cymbals, in which case have fun.

Opening the show are Greensboro's Fugazi-influenced Manamid.

Saturday, May 21
Supersystem, Sentai, Spader, Fake Swedish [http://fakeswedish.4t.com/index.html]
Kings, Raleigh

Supersystem are apparently post-El Guapo & that's all I know about that. Fake Swedish are from Chapel Hill & I adore their brand of well-arranged smarty-pants 60s-style pop psychedelia.

Sunday, May 22
Art Lord and the Self Portraits [http://www.ideasforhousecrafts.com], Dan Deacon [http://www.dandeacon.com/], Nuclear Power Pants [http://www.bxxxxzt.com/]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Monday, May 23
Mobius Band [http://www.mobiusband.com/], David Karsten Daniels [http://www.davidkarstendaniels.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, May 24
Grey Daturas [http://www.greydaturas.cjb.net], The Butcherings [http://www.thebutcherings.com], In the Year of the Pig [http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, May 24
My Dear Ella [http://www.mydearella.com], Fashion Design [http://fashiondesignband.com/]
The Library, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, May 24
Caltrop, Chachalaca, Rockets and Mortar
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

I got the following from ex-El Sucio/current Continent frontman Sam Taylor:

"caltrop is the new band that i'm in that includes myself & jason (drums) from continent, murat (bass) from el sucio, & adam (guitar) from pegasus.

chachalaca is my brother joe (guitar) from capsize 7/lystra, billy buckley (bass) who was in cobra kahn, & saula finau on drums (badass drummer).

rockets and mortar, all i know is that dan from sentinel is in the band.

this is the first show for caltrop and the first show for chachalaca and the second show for rockets and mortar and it will thus probably be short sets all around but good nonetheless (we might get a 4th band)."

Tuesday, May 24
Monade [http://www.toopure.com/monade/], The Zincs [http://www.ohiogirl.com/ohiogold/goldbandzincs.htm]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monade is the side-project thing of Laetitia Sadier of Stereolab, just so's you know.

Wednesday, May 25
Crowmeat Bob presents Death Jazz
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

The word on this (and we're pretty sure it's this week, like for real):

Come one, come all. Bring the kids. Another must-see insanely special Wednesday event featuring touring musicians in two sets of music. Witness:

1st set:
Katsuyuki Itakura - piano (Japan)
Michael Thomas Jackson (Winston-Salem)
Bruce Eisenbeil - guitar (NYC)
Brian Osborne - percussion (NYC)

2nd set: Pulsoptional
You of course know puloptional as the Durham composers' collective consisting primarily of Duke music grads. (http://www.pulsoptional.org/) We will be improvising together.

Jennifer Fitzgerald - piano
Marc Faris - electric guitar
John Mayrose - classical guitar, electric bass
Tom Limbert - percussion
Todd Hershberger - bassoon, alto sax
Carrie Shull - oboe, english horn
Crowmeat Bob - alto sax, bass clarinet, trombone

Always within reason. Always within reason.

Wednesday, May 25
The Backwards [http://www.thebackwards.sk/]
Kings, Raleigh

The Backwards is the Czech Beatles Tribute. No, really.

Wednesday, May 25
n0 things, Country Bears, Chromelodeon [http://www.chromelodeon.com]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Nightlight sez:

"n0 things is a new slayering (???) group w/the ex-bassist & ex-drummer of Liars, + Christian Daustresme from Get Him Screw Him. Tribal drums, clanging guitars, no jamming, a 4/4 dance beat for like two seconds before switching to something else entirely different - Rocking stuff!!! Country Bears are pretty heavy fast local rock dudes and they tear it up. Chromelodeon might cover the music from Ninja Gaidan II if you ask."

Thursday, May 26
Andrew Bird [http://www.andrewbird.net/], Antena
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, May 26
Schooner [http://www.schoonermusic.com], Casting Company
Fuse, Chapel Hill

Thursday, May 26
Valient Thorr [http://www.valientthorr.com/], Electric Sunshine
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, May 27
Richard Buckner [http://www.richardbuckner.com/], Anders Parker
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, May 27
Summer Set [http://www.summersetworld.com ]
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Bitter irony, of course, is that I'm going to be in the Wilmington area while Summer Set, my current favorite Wilmington band, is in Raleigh playing this show. They're one of this fascinating new school of NC bands(along with Schooner & Asheville's Wayne Robbins & the Hellsayers) who manage to shoehorn countryish sounds, like steel guitar, into pop/rock songs and somehow make it sound fresh and exciting.

Friday, May 27
We Vs. The Shark [http://www.myspace.com/weversustheshark/], Kudzu Wish [http://www.kudzuwish.com/], Country Bears
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, May 27
Dynasty Electric Duo [http://dynastyelectricduo.com/], Gold Streets, The Dynamite Brothers [http://www.dynamitebrothers.com/]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, May 28
Work Clothes [http://www.bullfightparty.org], Billy Sugarfix [http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/billysugarfix.htm]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the Late Show at the Cave (10:00pm rocktimeish). I don't know whether Work Clothes have corralled their sometime-bandmates John Harrison & Clarque Blomquist for this one, but you're in for a treat either way. Lee & Jenny make weird lovely quiet songs about strange things & when they're just two, they're quiet as little demented mice; when they're four, they're quiet just long enough to get you off-guard and then ROAR.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of May 20, 2005, grady, 05/20/2005