ch-scene - Unedited Stuff To Do, Week of May 13, 2005

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Unedited Stuff To Do, Week of May 13, 2005
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 18:01:14 -0400

Sometimes I just don't have the stamina to plow through all this stuff & cut it into bite-sized chunks, at least not on this particular Friday evening. In the past I have just blown it off entirely, but starting now I'm going to at least, when too busy to provide the full spiel, send you a copy of the unembellished list that I work from when I'm putting it all together.

If I go back & embellish later, I'll followup here. In the meantime:

Friday May 13

Kings, Raleigh: BIRDS OF AVALON...THE GRAVES BROTHERS DELUX....THUNDERLIP...BANG! BANG!
website sez:
Birds of Avalon has members of The Cherry Valence, Strange, The Dynamite Brothers, and the Weather.

Graves Brothers Deluxe: This San Francisco group leaves reviewers
attempting such unwieldy analogies as "Leonard Cohen playing Magazine
and Neu covers with the Rolling Stones."

Thunderlip: Wilmington heavies throw their weight and their new CD around.

Bang! Bang!: self-styled "Chicago Sex-Rock" trio is rumored to bring it.

Werehouse, Winston-Salem: Autopassion, Warbomb, health

Cat's Cradle, Carrboro: Horton Heat, Supersuckers, Murphy's Law

Nightlight, Chapel Hill:

website sez: Fri 5/13 - NO FUTURE FEST!!! HOLY FUCK, GET READY FOR THIS: Two nights of noise, experimental, ambient, OTHER music, featuring mostly Southern acts, along with some Hospital and Truculent (RIP???) Records acts.

Night 1:
Deadly Orifice (TX)
Air Conditioning (PA)
Clang Quartet (NC)
Wilderness (TX)
Marax (GA)
Travis Morgan (GA)
Boyzone (NC)
Plane Crash (NC)
Andy & Tom (NC)

8PM SHARP / $5.

Ooh La Latte, Durham: The Butchies (last show ever(?))

Saturday May 14

Cat's Cradle, Carrboro: Black Keys, Hentchmen

Werehouse, Winston-Salem: Tommygun, Finks, Andy Freakin' Mabe

Local 506, Chapel Hill: SNMNMNM / PINKSLIPS / STEPHANIE'S ID

Wetlands Dancehall, Chapel Hill: The Ghost of Rock, Young Idea, Chest Pains

Nightlight, Chapel Hill: Sat 5/14 - NO FUTURE FEST night 2:

Prurient (NY)
Jason Crumer (NC)
Boner Machine (NC)
Immaculate:Grotesque (RI)
Pykrete (NC)
Fulci (GA)
Felt Battery (NC)
Silver Ninjas (VA)
Moribund (GA)
Wolf Anus (NC)

8PM SHARP / $5.

Temple Ball/De La Luz, Carrboro: Peter Brotzmann & Chicago Tentet

Sunday May 15

Cave, Chapel Hill: Dirty Little Heaters, Red Collar Co

Local 506, Chapel Hill: THE APPLESEED CAST / FIN FANG FOOM / CHIN UP CHIN UP

Cat's Cradle, Carrboro: Local Showcase:
4pm We Could Be Sushi,
5pm The Keep,
6pm Solaris,
7pm Polymer Bloom,
8pm Fistfight,
9pm Jews And Catholics,
10pm Citified,
11pm The Scholarships

Monday May 16

Kings, Raleigh: MICE PARADE...BOOM BIP...PHON
website sez:
Mice Parade: A boldly inventive and highly original take on post-rock
and electronica . . . done largely without electronics.
Collaborations with members of Mum and Doug Scharin of Him.

Boom Bip: "one of those rare composers who can leap genres and styles
in a single bound but never lose the artistic integrity of the overall
project . . . astonishingly complex and sublime . . . push[ing] the
boundaries of hip-hop culture far beyond people's expectations." -BBC

Werehouse, Winston-Salem: Angels of Light, Akron/Family, Merryland

Local 506, Chapel Hill: BIG BEAR / COUNTRY BEARS / JAGUARO

Cat's Cradle, Carrboro: Headphones, Tennis And The Mennonites, Spader

Tuesday May 17

Schoolkids, Chapel Hill: The Nein, DJs Mothersbrothers (7:30ish)

Local 506, Chapel Hill: THE YOUNG IDEA / THE SAFES

Kings, Raleigh: FIREBIRD BAND...LIARS ACADEMY...THUNDERBIRDS ARE NOW!...CITIES

Wednesday May 18

Local 506, Chapel Hill: The Speaking Canaries (damon che from don cab playin guitar -- http://www.scatrecords.com/canaries.htm )
warbomb ( music here: www.myspace.com/warbomb )
joe taylor (ex capsize 7)

Bickett Gallery, Raleigh: DEATH JAZZ
website sez:
- feat. Crowmeat Bob
Come one, come all. Bring the kids. Another must-see insanely special Wednesday event featuring touring musicians in two sets of music. Witness:

1st set:
Katsuyuki Itakura - piano (Japan)
Michael Thomas Jackson (Winston-Salem)
Bruce Eisenbeil - guitar (NYC)
Brian Osborne - percussion (NYC)

2nd set: Pulsoptional
You of course know puloptional as the Durham composers' collective consisting primarily of Duke music grads. (http://www.pulsoptional.org/) We will be improvising together.
Jennifer Fitzgerald - piano
Marc Faris - electric guitar
John Mayrose - classical guitar, electric bass
Tom Limbert - percussion
Todd Hershberger - bassoon, alto sax
Carrie Shull - oboe, english horn
Crowmeat Bob - alto sax, bass clarinet, trombone
Always within reason. Always within reason.

Cat's Cradle, Carrboro: Jimbo Mathus, Jule Brown
http://www.jamesmathus.com/

Kings, Raleigh: TH' LEGENDARY SHACK*SHAKERS...THE MOANERS...THE DYNAMITE BROTHERS

Nightlight, Chapel Hill: Red Wizard / more. 10PM.
http://www.redwizard.info/

Thursday May 19

Werehouse, Winston-Salem: TigerBearWolf ( www.hellosirrecords.com )
Toki Gangpae (new korean punk rock from winston-salem)
We're Wolves ( www.housecindy.org )
Dead Elephant Bicycle

Local 506, Chapel Hill: TRANSPORTATION / TRUCKLESS (ex-Starpoint Electric) / PEGASUS

Cat's Cradle, Carrboro: Built to Spill, Mike Johnson
http://www.builttospill.com/dotcom/main.html
http://www.onewhiskey.com/mikejohnson/

Friday May 20

Werehouse, Winston-Salem: Lightning Bolt ( www.laserbeast.com )
Bug Sized Mind (solo electronics, on tour with LB)
Hide and Seek (one of winstons finest groups, awesome spazzy discopunk www.freewebs.com/hideandseeek )
Calabi Yau ( www.yesyesyau.com )
MorMon ( amazing christian noise/performancemetal )

Saturday May 21

Local 506, Chapel Hill: Bene-Schmitt: DEXTER ROMWEBER & FRIENDS / COUNTDOWN QUARTET / ZEN FRISBEE (LITE) / JULE BROWN / JOHN HOWIE (from $2 Pistols) / KILLER FILLER / THE PRAYERS & TEARS OF ARTHUR DIGBY SELLERS / EVIL WIENER (Starts at 6pm)

Wetlands Dancehall, Chapel Hill: the kickass, continent, manamid

Cat's Cradle, Carrboro: Comas, Rosebuds, Hopewell

Kings, Raleigh: SUPERSYSTEM...SPADER...SENTAI...FAKE SWEDISH

Sunday May 22

Nightlight, Chapel Hill: Art Lord & the Self Portraits / Dan Deacon / Nuclear Power Pants.