ch-scene - Re: Civil disobedience

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: John I <not AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Civil disobedience
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 15:24:21 GMT

James Hepler wrote:

> Anyone reading about the lawsuit challenging NC's
> cohabitation law?
>
> I am now calling for everyone reading this list who
> has ever lived with a person of the opposite sex
> outside of marriage to turn themselves in to the
> authorities. I don't know what the statute of
> limitations is, but many of us are downright guilty.
> Buncha immoral sinners.
>
> http://fullcoverage.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050509/ap_on_re_us/cohabitation_laws
> uit

It's been 18 years Monday for me. I think that the SOL is 2 years for a
misdemeanor. There's no telling what level of infraction this is, considering
how old it is and that sodomy (including hetero, consensual, married, oral
sex) was a felony punishable by up to 20 years. Fundies take their sex
crime very seriously.

You can add my data point to the case against the 'winger hypothesis: "We
think that it's good to have a law against cohabitation because the studies
show that couples that cohabitate before they're married, that their
marriages are more prone to break up, there's less stability in the
marriage," said Bill Brooks, executive director of the conservative North
Carolina Family Policy Council. Eighteen years probably exceeds the average.

And we cohabitated for 8 years before we got married.