ch-scene - Questions about Chapel Hill scene

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "nmbogas AT gmail.com" <nmbogas AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Questions about Chapel Hill scene
  • Date: 23 Apr 2005 10:46:07 -0700

Hi,

I just joined this list a few weeks ago, so allow me to introduce
myself. I'm Nicole Bogas; I'm a senior at UNC, and I've worked at WXYC
for a few years. I'm working on a project about the Chapel Hill music
scene/community for a seminar I'm taking called "American Memory." I
will try to be clear about the focus of my project, but it's difficult
because I'm not quite sure yet, and it keeps changing as I find new
material.

Right now I am focusing on the ways in which the national media focused
on Chapel Hill as a site of music production and the ways in which
Chapel Hill responded in opposition (or in support) to that, and then
the ways in which that activism against an outside construction of the
scene has shaped and influenced the scene today. First of all, please
let me know if you think that's a bunch of B.S. so I can re-examine my
project! Since I wasn't in Chapel Hill during the 1990s, I don't have
much personal primary knowledge about this topic... that is why it
would be great to talk with some of you about it and hear your personal
memories and opinions!

If you'd like to help me out, following are some of the resources I
could use:

-information about the Big Record Stardom Convention (all I've got is
an article from the Independent called "Heard and Scened" from 1992)
-information about the Triangle Music Fest sponsored by Sony (I've got
a copy of the Sony Free! publication compliments of Jeff Robins and
also an Indpendent article called "Scum, Seminars & Superviruses from
1995)
-information on other events (not necessarily festivals... anything,
really) that expemlifies Chapel Hill's opposition to (or, conversely,
it's support of) commodification/outside influence in the past or
present
-zines that might have commentary on the state of Chapel Hill as a
scene or anything like that (I've just come from the N.C. Zine
Collection at the N.C. Collection at UNC, and I've looked at issues of
'Sup -- though I still haven't seen issues 1-3 --, Pooh, Preparation
X); I'd particularly like to see Trash and I'm sure there are many
others that I've not heard of
-articles from national media sources about Chapel Hill
-personal formative memories of the Chapel Hill scene, like experiences
at venues (past or current), with other bands/musicians, other "scene
institutions" like record stores, radio stations, etc.
-I'd also really just like to talk to anyone who will talk with me in
person (so I can record it), on the phone, or via email about any of
this!

Right now, that's all I can think of specifically. Please do get in
touch with me if you'd like to share information on any of these
topics.

Thank you very much!

Nicole
nmbogas AT gmail.com

PS: My paper is due May 9!!

  • Questions about Chapel Hill scene, nmbogas AT gmail.com, 04/23/2005