ch-scene - stuff to do, week of April 14, 2005

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of April 14, 2005
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:05:13 -0400

Abbreviated weekend-only version:

Thursday, April 14
Bringerer, Lud [http://members.aol.com/~ludkmr/]
Wetlands, Chapel Hill

Wetlands is the new name of the joint formerly known as the Treehouse, which is in the same building as Hell and Bub O'Malley's (Treehouse, oddly, was the first floor, & thus so is Wetlands). I dunno if there's any connection, tangible, spiritual, or otherwise, to the defunct NYC jam-band haven of the same name. Over the past month or so they've quietly begun having live music on Thursday nights, and previous shows have included the wall-o-sludgecore band Continent, and the white-punks-on-dope hip-hop of Kerbloki, so they've got their fingers on the Bifocal Media pulse, if nothing else.

Tonight's show features two of the Chapel-Hilliest bands; Lud have been performing around these parts for well over a decade, and they're one of my all-time faves; Kirk's songs of working-class struggles & African unrest are offset perfectly by Bryon's gorgeous guitar playing, and their instrumentals are varied enough to score four thousand films.

Bringerer aren't as old, band-wise, but the various members have been involved with a vast array of local bands for at least the past 12-13 years. Which ones? A secret.

Thursday, April 14
Bartender Olympics [http://www.local506.com]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Local 506 says:

Battle of the Bands featuring your favorite bartenders w/ JOHN HOWIE & CREW (The Cave - features members of Two Dollar Pistols and Sharkquest) vs BONER MACHINE (The Nightlight) vs RUSCHA (Reservoir) vs NEW GRANADA (Local 506 - features members of Fake Swedish, Leadfoot and Fashion Design) vs "Special Guests" (The Fuse)

Thursday, April 14
The Know [http://www.theknowrocks.com], Boxing Day [http://www.boxingdaymusic.com], Almighty Flying Machine [http://www.almightyflyingmachine.com]
Kings, Raleigh

Thursday, April 14
Rob Watson, Kennebec
Martin Street Music Hall, Raleigh

Friday, April 15
S.C.O.T.S. [http://www.scots.com/], Jule Brown [http://www.julebrown.org], Chrome Plated Apostles [http://www.demonbeach.com]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Chrome-Plated Apostles are an ever-so-slightly harder-rocking offshoot of the Bad Checks (Robin sits out; Clif moves to guitar; 2nd Pipe bassist Greg Adams steps in on bass) who would probably fool most casual Bad Checks fans.

Jule Brown is what you get when Jennyanykind's Mark Holland steps out to center stage, although since Mark wrote a lot of the later Jennyanykind material, it's a lot like later Jennyanykind: slow-moving psychedelic country-blues-drone.

Southern Culture on the Skids make a heavily surf-inflected variety of southern party-rock; they more-or-less pioneered it 20+ years ago and they haven't strayed all that far from the formula since. Lookit, I didn't mention food at all!

Friday, April 15
Citified [http://www.citifiedband.org/], Gerty [http://www.gerty.org], My Little Phony
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, April 15
Transportation, The Rockwells [http://www.rockwells.com/]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Transportation: Queen+Wings, but with a decidedly Southern inflection?

Friday, April 15
Hotel Lights, Summer Set [http://www.summersetworld.com ], North Elementary [http://www.northelementary.com]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

What a drag that this show is the same time as the Rosebuds/P&TOADS/Fan Modine show at the Coffeehouse; they both deserve Pop Show of the Week. North Elementary are an offshoot of the original Comas and they're working that same slow/woozy/drugged-up psych-pop angle. This is a release party for a new NE 7"

Summer Set are from Wilmington, and their EP was one of my favorite records of last year; it's breezy, ever-so-slightly country-inflected in places, and just generally hooky in every one of the right places.

Hotel Lights are the new project of ex-Ben Folds drummer Darren Jessee, and their debut album made a whole lot of 10-bests last year; it's 21st-century indie-pop, which I think means the same thing as 20th-century indie-pop: eclectic, able to fuzz it up on the fast-movers and mope it down on the slow ones. Someday someone will write a dissertation on the influence of Matthew Sweet on modern pop music.

Friday, April 15
The Rosebuds [http://www.therosebuds.com/], Fan Modine [http://www.grimsey.com/fanmodine.html], The Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers [http://www.prayersandtears.com/]
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

The *other* Pop Show of the Week. This is a CD-release for the new Rosebuds EP, "The Rosebuds Unwind," which is intermittently outstanding. Two of the cuts are utter genius in a Monkees/Sonny and Cher/Lee Hazelwood kind of way; two are old-school Rosebuds live faves finally put to wax; and two are slower/mellower, vaguely downbeat numbers.

I only ever saw Fan Modine once, at an entertainingly traumatic show filled with cd-player foulups and general nervousness. I don't know whether they'd be more or less endearing when everything's working according to plan; I kind of had the feeling that all the fuckups were *part* of the plan. In any case, Fan Modine are primarily one guy making super-witty deadpan synth-pop a la Magnetic Fields.

The Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers are also one guy, although he gets a lot of help from his friends in the Bu Hanan Records collective. The music goes from intensely quiet acoustic guitar or piano with sad male vocals, all the way to crashing distorto guitars and overly-melodramatic string-section arrangements, occasionally within the space of a single song. It reminds some people a little bit of Bright Eyes, but while this guy cares a lot, he doesn't care nearly as much as Conor does.

Friday, April 15
Goner [http://www.gonertheband.com/], The Rachel Nevadas [http://www.therachelnevadas.com/], The Quarantines [http://www.thequarantines.com]
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, April 15
Spencer Acuff [http://www.spenceracuff.com/], American Aquarium [http://www.clearchannelnewmusicnetwork.com/artist/americanaquarium], New Darlings [http://thenewdarlings.com/]
Martin Street Music Hall, Raleigh

Saturday, April 16
Rocketfire Red [http://www.rocketfirered.com], The Midnight Gladness Band
Ooh La Latte, Durham

Saturday, April 16
Leadfoot [http://www.leadfoot.net/], The Needles [http://www.moonrockneedles.com/], Kung Flude [http://www.kungflude.com/]
Martin Street Music Hall, Raleigh

Sunday, April 17
The Bamboo Kids [http://www.thebambookids.com/], Jimmy & The Teasers [http://www.geocities.com/booze1031/teasers.html], The Pink Lincolns
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, April 17
Shipping News [http://www.southern.com/southern/band/SHIPN/], des_ark [http://www.des-ark.org], Maple Stave [http://www.maplestave.com]
Kings, Raleigh

des_ark are back from their triumphant 3-week Midwest tour, which hopefully means Aimee will have something entertaining to talk about while she's retuning her guitar between every song. Ask her about the photo shoot.

Maple Stave are from Durham, and they make that angular longish-song three-piece kinda-mathy gtr-bass-drums indie-rock. Some tunes have vocals, and they're my favorites; but then that's true of just about any band.

The Shipping News are one of those post-Rodan bands, reuniting guitarists Jason Noble (Rachel's) and Jeff Mueller (June of 44).

Monday, April 18
Flicker [http://www.chapel-hill.nc.us/flicker]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

The latest installment in a long-running (10+ years & counting) periodic local short-films mini-festival. Everything must originate on film (or Pixelvision, though it's rare to see one of those) and clock in at under 20 minutes. You get yr art films, your vacation footage, your rock videos, your over/under-acted student films, your jokey kung-fu parodies, more art films, and cookies. Plus an elaborate contest that just might result in you taking home a camera & a roll of film with an assignment to make a movie. 8:00-ish doors, 8:30-ish start-time.

Monday, April 18
Plat [http://www.platmusic.com/], Doofgoblin [http://www.doofgoblin.com/], Katastatik [http://unschooled.com/artist.php?artist=Katastatik]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------