ch-scene - Re: Stuff to Do, Week of April 7, 2005

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: djgolf AT mindspring.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Stuff to Do, Week of April 7, 2005
  • Date: 11 Apr 2005 15:27:10 -0700

I saw Fantomas Friday night & this was one of the better shows in (my,
anyway) recent memory. Amazing tightness for such intense stop-and-go
material, and virtuoso drumming from Lombardo. If you really miss John
Zorn's Naked City, then Fantomas are your band. They did most of the
new record, part of last year's 70-minute one-song epic "Delirium
Cordia", and 3 songs from the movie-theme covers collection "The
Director's Cut" (including their speed-metal take on "The Omen", which
made my night.)

We kept the movie-music thing going with a trip to Richmond on Saturday
for the Pere Ubu underscore performance accompanying Roger Corman's "X:
The Man With X-Ray Eyes." I had forgotten what a fantastic old theater
the Byrd (on Cary St. right down from Plan 9 Records) is. It's worth
going just to see the organ and chandelier. The print of the film was
in suprisingly good shape, and Ubu set up in the orchestra pit for
their original underscore, which included snippets of some of their
oldest and best recorded material - "Street Waves", "My Dark Ages",
"The Modern Dance" (for the nude-dancing party scene) and an extended
"Heart of Darkness" at the movie's climax. David Thomas added the
'great lost line' to the end of the film ("I CAN STILL SEE!!") Big
crowd for this; lots of folks from the James River film festival plus
Ubu fans from all over. This was good. I don't get to do 2
consecutive nights of music very much anymore.