ch-scene - Re: Ideas!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Ideas!
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 17:08:04 -0500

No James, it's not a Dolly Madison Bakery Outlet. It's just another "couples-friendly" smut shop.

Ross

James Hepler wrote:
Speaking of businesses I know nothing about, does
anyone know what Cherry Pie on Chapel Hill-Durham
Boulevard is? Right by Suto Protocall (AKA chapel
hill tire) near of Lowes. Because I know what I think
it is or what I think it should be.

--- grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:

OK, I get it, y'all were pulling my leg. Ha ha, very
funny.

I just got back from Chosun Ok, the new Korean joint
in that same shopping center. Oh man, that was some tasty BBQ
beef. The Be-Bim Bap was pretty good as well. The menu is also insanely
loaded with all kinds of authentic and/or bizarre items like baby goat
soup and a huge variety of fish dishes.

Based upon y'all's "recommendations", I then
proceeded down the stripmall to Ideas! It being mysteriously warm
outside, and thus even hotter inside my coat, I decided to order a tasty
iced coffee beverage.

Y'all can make fun of me if you want--I almost
certainly deserve it--but I will argue at this juncture that yr basic set of
tasty iced-coffee beverages are well within the normal/expected
repertoire of any decent modern coffee joint. Or, more to the point: if
you're gonna have them on the menu, then you should care enough to make them
correctly. If you want to be a coffee/espresso/cappucino-only purist
establishment, then I applaud yr purism & I'll order one of those. Ideas!
is not a purist joint, however.

So, being lactose intolerant, I politely inquired as
to whether they have soy milk. Receiving a response in the
affirmative, I proceeded to order a decaf soy iced mocha.

I then sat there in horror and watched as the dude
pulled down a big plastic tub from the shelf and shoveled several
scoopfuls of powder into the blender, added a bunch of ice, and hit "frappe"
or whatever the fuck the button says.

I will admit that for the first half of the process
I wasn't paying complete attention, so I can't really say for
certain whether any espresso was harmed in the making of my
franken-beverage. I *can* say for certain that I didn't see any soy milk *or*
chocolate syrup go into the thing.

Thoroughly skeeved but not wishing to get into a
long discussion about why mystery powder isn't a normal coffee beverage
ingredient, I paid & left.

My subsequent internet research was unable to turn
up an exact ingredient list for the "Big Train Iced Mocha" mix
that he used, but I *did* find an ingredient list for the "low-carb"
version of same; difference presumably being the substitution of
Splenda for the crapload of sugar that was clearly part of the high-carb
version I received:

"Ingredients: Protein From Nonfat Milk and Calcium
Caseinate, Erythritol, Sunflower Oil, Cocoa, Coffee, Natural
and Artificial Flavors, Carrageenan, Salt, Xanthan and Guar Gums,
Disodium and Dipotassium Phosphate, Mono and Diglyceridees,
Lecithin and Sucralose (Splenda Brand)."

http://www.bigtrain.com/pages/blendedicecoffee.html

So not only did the motherfucker charge me $3.50 for
a noxious brown substance with an assload of sugar, a bizarre
McDonalds Shake-like consistency, and virtually no coffee flavor, but he
fed me dairy products in the process.

It sorta boggles my mind that Counter Culture can be
roasting tons of their remarkably good beans less than 2 miles
away--filling the air with the aroma of roasting coffee, driving me slowly
mad--and yet we can't seem to muster up a single decent coffee shop in
RTP. WTF?

Then again, isn't there a McCafe out Miami a ways?

Ross