ch-scene - Re: Ch-scene Digest, Vol 16, Issue 28

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: <dave AT hollinghurst.net>
  • To: <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Ch-scene Digest, Vol 16, Issue 28
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:13:15 -0500

> Message: 8
> Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:05:04 -0500
> From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
> Subject: Re: Ch-scene Digest, Vol 16, Issue 25
> To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
>
> Well, you know, those of us who live by the car are destined to die by
> the car, and I say this as someone who just spent 40 minutes in the car
> commuting to RTP.

Try the same 40 minutes being packed in steel tube on wheels going 45 mph.
And no one speaks a word. Commuting can suck, anyway you dice it. But I
know yr pain as well. Been there.

> Isn't Parkwood a fairly typical 70s-era white-flight suburb of
> Durham/RTP, pine trees or no pine trees? That refreshing lack of gas
> stations & Teeters just meant that the residents had to drive further to
> meet their basic daily needs -- unless y'all were growing all your own
> food when you were kids (I can just picture Peder walking behind a plow)

You know, interestingly enough, Parkwood has a small shopping center,
somewhat centrally located in the middle, which used to have, among other
things, a grocery store and a gas station.

The grocery store folded in the mid/late eighties, possibly because the
Winn-Dixie at the corner of Hwy54/55 took all the business. The gas station
strangely opened again recently. Also, there's the Parkwood Branch of the
Durham County Library system, been there since the late eighties. Two
churches, and an elementary school. Manmade lake they dropped trout into.
Whitey-flighty, sure ( if I'm understanding yr lingo correctly), but
gradually became more diverse, especially when all the middle class rednecks
moved away to a more modern housing development down the road: Woodcroft.
The place got quiter for some reason. Anyway, just an FYI.

(Peder and I were actually driving wheelbarrows of dirt and hoisting
landscape timbers, courtesy of the slavery one's parents can press upon.
The gardens are really nice now, though. ;) )

> . . .
>
> I dig what you're saying about eccentric local funk -- but really, how
> long do you have to live elsewhere to develop nostalgia for the oil-tank
> farm and the junkyard that bookend the current Cradle?

I guess it's not so much nostalgia for me, but sentimentality; there was a
really cool looking old bus/van in that junkyard, and Small's last promo
shot was taken by the razor wire encrusted fence. Granted though, oil tank
farms and junkyards can get tiresome and downright ugly. And you know,
we'll get over it, eventually. Can't expect everyone to work around those
feelings held onto for so long.

> Basically, as long as people keep procreating and/or immigrating, we're
> going to have to deal with development. We only get two choices: out, or
> up. Up is vastly preferable to out, especially since the surface of the
> earth is a finite quantity while, strictly speaking, "up" is infinite.
> The engineering just gets trickier the further up you go ;-)

Population growth means development, I know, I know. Why couldn't we all
just bone up on our Le Corbusier?

dAve