ch-scene - Re: articles on local scene

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: articles on local scene
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:42:12 -0500

You're not going to find much pre-200x on the WWW. There are doubtless a zillion webzines and blogs and whatnot referencing local bands since then, however; how comprehensive are you trying to be?

I probably still have xeroxes/actual copies of some of the magazine articles from the Next Seattle days. I also have xeroxes of pretty much everything I wrote from the Indy from 1992-1995.

This mailing list's archives are in several different places, and I've never gotten around to writing an interface to access the period from 1994-whenever. But groups.google.com is your friend; this list has been mirrored to alt.music.chapel-hill since almost the very beginning, and google groups has all but the first few months of it, IIRC.

The Indy has the past few years of itself online, but the search function is kind of broken. I think they have some sort of standard directory format for writers' archives, though, so you could make a list of people who've written about music for them over the past few years & look that way. Lot of material there.

Doing a search on David Menconi in the N&O archives will get you a shitload of stuff as well, and since you're at a library you should be able to actually access the stuff.

Ross

wordnerd AT gmail.com wrote:
hey, random question. i work in the music library at unc and a couple
of us are trying to get some articles together dealing with the local
scene. i know of a lot of recent stuff--reviews, stuff on merge@15,
etc--but we want to collect stuff from the last decade, which i'm not
as familiar with.

if you can think of any articles from any publication/website dealing
w/ the chapel hill scene, i would really appreciate it if you could
email the reference to me. i did search the archives here but of course
the herald-sun's archives don't really work, and of course the archives
here don't go all the way back to 94-95ish.

anyway, my email is wordnerd at gmail dot com, if anyone has any info
for us.

thanks!