ch-scene - Re: rock show SAT 19 at NIGHTLIGHT

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Christiane Voisin <voisc AT ils.unc.edu>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: rock show SAT 19 at NIGHTLIGHT
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:05:32 -0500 (EST)

indeed there is too much going on this weekend... hence, a shameless plug
for my friends' band, Brass Castle. we're talkin some seriously
"aggressive indie rock" from Atlanta. below is a review from "Dead Angel"
of their latest album, which is called "Get on Fire"... (go to
http://www.brasscastle.com/ to see more lengthy reviews and to hear mp3s.)

---------
Hey, I like this. Two guys (Chris Strawn and Christian Gordy) on guitar,
vox, drums, etc., who are coming from the same basic place as bands like
AC/DC and Shellac, all simple (usually) riffs and elements but played with
precison and loud abandon. They keep the sound loud and basic, the songs
short (usually around a minute and a half), and the rock hard 'n heavy.
When they're fast, they sound like AC/DC on caffiene; when they're slow,
they sound like Lynyrd Skynyrd with modern amplification. Throughout all
thirteen songs they sound like a band that would be equally at home on
bills with old-school rockabilly / metal / southern boogie bands, or on
any Load triple bill. If Shellac had nastier-sounding guitar and were
playing like men too drunk to know they're on fire, I think they'd sound
like this. Highly recommended, and seeing as how they're going to be on
tour this year, maybe you should see them too.

christiane