ch-scene - Sharon Jones & DapKings This Thursday in Chapel Hill!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: DJ Marco <djmarco AT solidsoundsystem.com>
  • To: SolidSoundSystem <djmarco AT solidsoundsystem.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Sharon Jones & DapKings This Thursday in Chapel Hill!
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:30:05 -0500

SHARON JONES & THE DAP-KINGS
COUNTDOWN QUARTET
DJ MARCO + DJ MIDNITE COWBWOY
at Cat's Cradle
Thursday January 27
Doors at 8:30pm, show at 9pm
Tickets $10 in advance

I know that I'm given to hyperbole when writing emails about
SolidSoundSystem DJ gigs. It comes with the territory and I hope you all
have forgiven my promotion-minded trespasses in the past. But in this case I
can guarantee that this Thursday brings a show that you will be kicking
yourself if you miss.

To put it bluntly, NYC's Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings are the truth.

Cowbwoy & I have been spinning this band's soul & funk 45s at our gigs since
they first came out a few years ago, and they've always been guaranteed
floor-fillers. When we helped the band to get some shows in Raleigh & Chapel
Hill last year, both nights the clubs were filled to capacity, even though
they'd never played here before. Our local rock audiences, known worldwide
for statue-still cross-armed bemusement, were actually DANCING. How could
they not? In the great tradition of soul revues past, SJ&TDK put on a SHOW
with their own modern spin, performing with more energy and heart than most
groups half their age. For weeks after these shows, I heard people I didn't
even know talking about how amazing this band was.

I've been playing their new soulful 45 "How Long Must I Wait For You" twice
a night at our gigs since it came out late last year, and it never fails to
attract praise from someone in the club who's never heard it before. We even
stopped our gig at Federal last week so the bar could watch SJ&TDK play the
song on Conan O'Brien on the bar's bigscreen. The entire crowd erupted in
applause when the song was over. Earlier in the night I had played the song
as part of my DJ set and some guy was eager to find out who it was. Why? "I
was in the bathroom, all I could hear was the bassline," he said, "and it
was massive!" Listen, if the song sounds that great from a BAR BATHROOM,
imagine how good it will be to see it performed right in front of your eyes.

People, please. Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings aren't a local band you can see
any week if you miss them this Thursday. They might not be back for another
6 months or a year. By then, you'll have to fight a mob to get in. Or you
might not be able to get tickets at all. Don't let that happen.

I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

- DJ Marco

http://www.daptonerecords.com/pages/stable_sharon.html
http://www.countdownquartet.net/index1.htm
http://www.catscradle.com/
http://www.solidsoundsystem.com/

  • Sharon Jones & DapKings This Thursday in Chapel Hill!, DJ Marco, 01/25/2005