ch-scene - Stuff to do, Week of December 10, 2004

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, Week of December 10, 2004
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:59:44 -0500

Friday, December 10
Dom Casual, Wigg Report
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, December 11
Transportation, Cardiff Giants, Schooner
[http://www.schoonermusic.com]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Transportation take their inspiration from that early-70s UK
free-for-all that brought us everything from T.Rex to Badfinger to
Queen. Cardiff Giant[s] is/are an ex-Pipe/ex-Zen Frisbee supergroup of
some kind. Schooner are from Raleigh, and I'm not really sure how to
describe them -- their debut "You Forget About Your Heart" veered all
over, from mopey dream-pop to noise freakout.

Sunday, December 12
Evil Wiener [http://www.evilwienerworld.com/]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

It's December, so this must be the Evil Wiener Christmas Show. There
have been rumors lately that someone might reissue the brilliant &
long-out-of-print Evil Weiner Christmas Record, which featured such
gems as "Secret Santa" and "All Around the World," a song about Santa
heavily inspired by the Modern Lovers, which contained the following
lines (among many brilliances):

He's got a bag full of toys
For all the good girls and boys
But if you're on his shitlist
You won't get nothing but switches
He goes all around the world & it only takes one night
Saying Ho Ho Happy Birthday Jesus Christ
Ho Ho, Happy Birthday Jesus!

Sunday, December 12
Erie Choir, Fan Modine [http://www.grimsey.com/fanmodine.html], Ill
Ease [http://www.illease.com]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Erie Choir are the sad-but-hopeful side-project of Sorry About Dresden
singer/guitarist Eric Roehrig. I've seen them a half-dozen times and
the lineup hasn't ever been the same, so I'll refrain from
speculating, but I can say with some certainty that their 2nd EP, "Bad
Tsars is a Drag," makes the perfect holiday gift for that special
depressive someone.

Fan Modine have a really complicated backstory that I'm still not
entirely clear on, but I think it involves on one level an alienated
american popstar living in China, and on another level a
singer/songwriter named Gordon Zacharias moving to Chapel Hill and
quietly assmbling a supergroup including such local luminaries as Ash
Bowie (Polvo, Libraness), Jeremy Chatelain (Jets to Brazil, Cub
Country), Chuck Johnson (Shark Quest, Spatula) and Lee Waters (Work
Clothes, Lud).

I read something in the Indy about Ill Ease to the effect that it's a
solo project of someone with some kind of neurological condition that
involves sound doing weird shit to their brains. I don't recall any
more details, but really, how much more do you need to know? Genius!

Monday, December 13
Flicker [http://www.chapel-hill.nc.us/flicker]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Last Flicker of the year. As always you get 90+ minutes of homebrew
movies (all shot on film, whether Super8, 16mm, or the occasional
lush-looking 35mm student project), none longer than 20 minutes. Plus
prizes & hopefully cookies. Doors at 8:00, movies start around
8:30ish.

Monday, December 13
The Lot Six [http://www.thelotsix.com/], Kudzu Wish
[http://www.kudzuwish.com/], Strange [http://www.thisisstrange.org]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Kudzu Wish are from Greensboro, and they make an exhilarating amalgam
of weird-guitar indie-rock and pants-falling-down screamo. Strange are
from Raleigh, and they've got a corner on the market in Atmosphere, to
be sure. Crashing echoey drums & guitars, weird stabs of trumpet and
keyboard, and the kind of pulsing baritone fervor that you might
associate with early Cult and/or P-Furs and/or J&MC/Echo & the
Bunnymen/<insert 80s UK import here>.

Wednesday, December 15
Strange [http://www.thisisstrange.org], Black Castle
[http://www.enterblackcastle.com], des_ark [http://www.des-ark.org]
Martin Street Music Hall, Raleigh

Best (and weirdest) Raleigh show of the week. Black Castle bring the
frantic bass+drums+keyboards screamy youth-hardcore freakout. Strange
bring the atmospheric vaguely-80s-UK boom. des_ark will set up on the
floor & blow you away with the pure thickness of Aimee's guitar tone &
the depth & richness of Tim's drums before they even get around to
playing a song. You'll wonder why anybody ever plays onstage through a
P.A. It does help to stand up close, though, so don't be shy. If Dave
Cantwell makes the drive from Durham, he's gonna try to stand right
down front, but don't be scared to shove in next to him; he's the
nicest man in the Triangle, and he's des_ark's biggest fan, & likes
nothing better than welcoming new members to the club.

Wednesday, December 15
Coffin Bound, The Spinns [http://www.thespinns.freeservers.com/]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Thursday, December 16
Choose Your Own Adventure, Bringerer, Cheers To No Tomorrow
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Drugs, guitars, and giant sweeping soundscapes.

Friday, December 17
$2 Pistols
The Cave, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to do, Week of December 10, 2004, grady, 12/10/2004