ch-scene - Stuff to do, Week of November 12, 2004

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, Week of November 12, 2004
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:34:06 -0500

Friday, November 12
Jule Brown [http://www.unc.edu/~holland3/jbrown.htm]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the early show. Jule Brown is Mark Holland of Jennyanykind;
many of the songs on the last Jennyanykind record, Peas and Collards,
were Jule Brown songs at some stage of their existence, so if you
liked that, you should like this.

Friday, November 12
Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
[http://www.daptonerecords.com/pages/stable_sharon.html]
Kings, Raleigh

How to begin? There is a label called Daptone records, which releases
primarily funk-and-soul 7"s (they call 'em 45's). While they don't go
out of their way to obscure their release dates or intentionally
obfuscate the time-line, everything about them, from the design of
their releases to the style of recording & the clothes on the
performers, is a total timewarp back to the mid/late 60s/early 70s.
Which, when you're talking about hard soul and funk, is the place to
be. Sharon Jones is sharp, sassy, and entirely N-O-W, even as she
works her way through a setlist that seems as though it was ripped
unchanged from the stage of the Apollo circa 1970.

Friday, November 12
S.C.O.T.S. [http://www.scots.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Third night of a 3-night live-album/DVD recording/shooting
extravaganza. One would presume that this should mean you'd get a
regular Southern Culture show but cranked up to about the 36th power.
And no lipsynching. Make sure, when you do your hair, that you don't
neglect the back; it's the most likely bit to wind up on-camera.

Friday, November 12
My Dear Ella [http://www.mydearella.com], Lord Russ and his Magic
Fingers
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The second night of a two-night stand for Beatlesy
popsters-turned-shirtless overdriven shoegazerockers My Dear Ella.
Dunno about Lord Russ, although there was a dude in the Boston area by
that name a few years back who apparently had quite the Jim Morrison
fetish.

Saturday, November 13
Crooked Fingers [http://www.crookedfingers.com/], Delgados
[http://www.delgados.co.uk/], Michael Holland
[http://www.bigjohnsrecords.com]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Eric Bachmann has been Crooked Fingers for at least as long as he was
in Archers of Loaf, so if you need to toggle some mental pigeonhole,
go ahead & do that now. Crooked Fingers have developed into an
improbably sophisticated and emotionally resonant vehicle for Eric's
distinctive Diamondesque croak.

Saturday, November 13
Shark Quest [http://www.mrg2000.com/merge/bio.html?id=sharkquest],
Topography, Maple Stave [http://www.maplestave.com]
Ooh La Latte, Durham

Saturday, November 13
J Mascis and the Fog [http://www.freakscene.net/], des_ark
[http://www.des-ark.org]
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

des_ark drummer Tim Herzog used to roadie for J. Mascis, and generally
when J's in town he returns the favor by asking des_ark to open for
him (J has lately also returned the favor by recording the upcoming
des_ark full-length at his place in Mass.). Though I won't be
attending this show, I would pay, figuratively at least, a dollar to
be there for the argument with the sound guy when des_ark insist on
playing on the floor in front of the stage.

They're right, though; it really *does* sound better. Plus all the
bodies give something for Aimee to bounce off of when she's staggering
around. If she were onstage, she'd soon wind up *off* stage on her ass
on the floor anyway. This way it's less far to fall.

Saturday, November 13
Logical Sound Discovery
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Raleigh artist/musician Rob/Bobby Logic has been doing his
more-or-less one-man Logical Sound Discovery project for at least the
past 10 years. What began as a sort of Prince-esque bedroom funk-pop
thing has morphed into a more electronic/funk/disco thing over the
years; the constant is Rob's weird little brain.

Saturday, November 13
The Woggles [http://www.hostess.com/woggles/], The Spinns
[http://www.thespinns.freeservers.com/], Holly Golightly
[http://www.hollygolightly.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

My friend Pinky is the hugest Holly Golightly fan ever in the history
of the world, and she has impeccable taste in *everything,* which
leads me to believe that the rest of us should get in line.

Woggles are from Athens, and they've been spearheading the Garage Rock
Revival for so long that it's stupid to keep calling it a revival, as
it is quite obviously here to stay.

Sunday, November 14
The Nicky Band [http://www.futurock.com]
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

The Nicky Band is the Prince-inspired crazy homebrew funk/sexxxy
slowww-jams side-project of [ex?] Cherry Valence/Mothlight drummer
Nick Whitley. The Nicky Album was one of my all-time-fave releases of
2003, and the thought of him actually having a band capable of pulling
the stuff off live is just too sweet. Tune in at 5:00 & bring a change
of panties. 88.7 FM or www.wxdu.org

Sunday, November 14
Adem [http://www.adem.tv/], Badly Drawn Boy
[http://www.badlydrawnboy.co.uk/]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Sunday, November 14
Mowing Lawns [http://www.dyss.net/mlawns.html], Pykrete, Erie Choir
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Mowing Lawns are a vaguely Nightlight-related folk/electronic-improv
outfit who have a mysterious buzz surrounding them. Pykrete is the
latest solo-electronics incarnation of Spatula/Shark Quest guitarist
Chuck Johnson. Erie Choir is the "solo" side project of Sorry About
Dresden guitarist Eric Roehrig, and his/their 2nd EP, "Bad Tsars is a
Drag," is entering the homestretch of 2004 sitting squarely at the top
of my 2004 top-whatever local releases list.

Monday, November 15
Chris Leo
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Glenn Boothe, who should've been emailing us about the Sally
Timms/Giant Sand show at his own club tonight, instead sent email
encouraging people to check out Chris Leo:

"I barely have time to promote my own shows, but I want to draw
attention to an act playing at The Cave on Monday. It's Chris Leo,
currently of Vague Angels and former member of The Lapse and The Van
Pelt, the latter being one of my fave indie bands of the mid-90's. The
other core member of those bands, Toko Yasuda, is now in Enon. Chris
is also the brother of Ted Leo.)"

Monday, November 15
Giant Sand [http://www.giantsand.com], Sally Timms
[http://www.billions.com/artists/sallyt/], Johnny Dowd
[http://www.johnnydowd.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sally Timms has been in Mekons for the past umpty-zillion years. Giant
Sand are the band of [in]famous Arizona desert iconoclast Howe Gelb; I
can't ever keep his story straight, but it might be worth noting that
perennial college-radio faves Calexico actually formed as a spinoff of
a long-running version of Giant Sand, and then spun off fully,
apparently, as they didn't appear on the latest Giant Sand album.

Tuesday, November 16
Hot Snakes [http://www.hotsnakes.com/], The Ponys
[http://theponys.com/], Dan Sartain
[http://www.swamirecords.com/bands/002.html]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Hot Snakes is a/the current band of John "Speedo" Reis, who spent a
good long time fronting the increasingly cartoonish Rocket From the
Crypt, who sort of imploded a while after they went major-label. I've
only heard one Hot Snakes song, but it fucking rocked. Note: Reis also
recorded the Superchunk album "On the Mouth."

Tuesday, November 16
Divided Like a Saint's [http://www.dividedlikeasaints.com/]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, November 17
Shallow Be Thy Name
[http://www.screwmusicforever.com/music/artists/shallow/index.html],
Shark Quest [http://www.mrg2000.com/merge/bio.html?id=sharkquest]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Shark Quest, as you know, have a brilliant new(ish) album out that was
inspired by their work on a live score for Bruce Bickford animation.
Shallow Be Thy Name spends half its time as a quiet,
sweetly-harmonized bedroom duets project of Clarque Blomquist and
Caroline Johnson, and the other half as a loud, sweetly-harmonized
rockband led by same. This is the loud half.

Wednesday, November 17
The Man, Monsonia [http://www.monsonia.com], Fashion Design
[http://fashiondesignband.com/], King of November
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, November 18
Animal Collective [http://www.paw-tracks.com], Gang Gang Dance
[http://www.thesocialregistry.com/artist_pages/ggd.html]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Thursday, November 18
The Young Idea [http://www.theyoungidea.com], The Lobsters
The Cave, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to do, Week of November 12, 2004, grady, 11/12/2004