ch-scene - Re: Regional bashing

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Duncan Murrell <dvmurrell AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Regional bashing
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:25:44 -0500

On Nov 10, 2004, at 9:43 PM, kevin maxwell farmer wrote:

she talked about the issues in a way that connected with voters, her
opponent talked about her sexuality.

That's an oversimplification of that race.

I don't see what's wrong about talking values when it comes to figuring out how people vote for president. There's forty years of hard, statistical evidence that suggests that values of one sort or another trump just about everything when people vote for president. Check out Thad Beyle's stats at the Center for the Study of the American South. Furthermore, my affinity for the Democratic party's position on most of the issues are fully in keeping with, if not directly the result of, the values I hold, some of which derive from my (gasp) church background, some from the hours sitting zazen at the zendo, and some just because I'm a fan of the Enlightenment. I'm not afraid of a discussion of values, but I'm sorry they make you berserk.

On the other hand, the statistics also seem to indicate that in races down the ticket, people _do_ vote the issues more often, probably because they're more immediate and less abstract. Democrats still live on down the ticket, and as a result the Democrats (this time) increased their share in the State House. Julia Boseman was a county commissioner, and therefore was 1) a proven, well-known leader who had 2) obviously long ago resolved any issues her electorate had (if they had any at all) about her sexuality. Boseman's experience isn't one from which you can extrapolate a lesson for the national Democratic party. She's a hard-nosed pol who gave it to Woody (the Republican) as hard as she got, until the Republicans decided to race for the bottom and wallow in their filth. She probably would have won, anyway, even if the Wilmington paper had stood by its endorsement of her opponent. (Endorsements are worthless.)