ch-scene - Re: Regional bashing

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: kevin maxwell farmer <fakirmevern-amch AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Regional bashing
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:43:36 -0500

Jbtroy1 AT aol.com wrote:

Actually, the issue that is raised here, the questionable intelligence of assuming thus and such about a region without exploring underlying causes, of dividing people further with invective rather than finding ways to bring much need unity to a common cause, also applies to the problem of what to do with the Bush voter. I've done my share of bashing the Bush voter, but maybe it would be wiser to find out what it will take to reach that person instead of priming him/her to make the same mistake next time.

exactly!

assuming there is such a thing, beyond a certain point, as a "bush voter." meaning--there's the hard-core "the man prays before making a decision and that's good enough for me" voter to be sure. but i'm not convinced that percentage is very high. and the rest? are they bush voters or low-tax voters? are they bush voters or fear voters? are they bush voters or i-just-hate-ben-affleck voters?

why did bush make significant gains among latino voters?

why did bush make significant gains among women voters?

and if one more "good democrat" tells me we need to reframe the moral values argument, i think i am going to go berserk. julia boseman, "the first openly gay state legislator in NC history," was elected in a district where bush carried 30 out of 46 precincts, but her opponent only carried 21.

why?

she talked about the issues in a way that connected with voters, her
opponent talked about her sexuality.

and he lost.

-k