ch-scene - Re: Welch-Rawlings New Yorker article

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Welch-Rawlings New Yorker article
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 10:28:33 -0500

If you personally felt that particular CD lacked direction (it was slow and meandery, that's for sure, even for them) then you might try the ones prior to it. I think you'd particularly enjoy "My Morphine" off of Hell Among the Yearlings -- mentioned in the NYorker article, IIRC. In fact, I'd go so far as to call that disc 'essential' if you're at all interested in them.

It's probably square to admit it in this company, but Welch/Rawlings are definitely on my top-20-shows-of-all-time list. I'm even willing to overlook the annoying-as-fuck faux-jazz/bluegrass applause-for-solos thing that too many of their audience members do. Makes no sense to me, as David never showboats & it's always about The Song First, and you'd think the people in the audience would get that, and why the fuck would they want to trample the delicate transitions between sections with their dumb clapping, but point being they're so *good* that I'm willing to overlook it.

t'was a nice article, too. I'm so so grateful that Tina Brown's tenure at the NYorker was relatively brief and seems to have had few lasting bad effects.

Ross

My friend Phil said, wrote:
yeah yeah but it's not too late? I really like the "Time, The
Revelator" cd. And from things I've heard and read they seem to lack
direction, but still the music is good. Maybe I 'll catch up with them
someday?

1101010 <1101010 AT foobox.net> wrote in message
news:<SVBjd.3981$_J2.170 AT newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...

If you hadn't moved to New York, you'd have been listening to this stuff for years.

My friend Phil said, wrote:

I ran across this on my break and since it sounded like something down
the pike...

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040920fa_fact3

PS- sounds like stuff my grandma use to listen too, way back in the
early 50s around Young Harris??