ch-scene - Re: more exit poll info

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Calloway <ifoufo AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: more exit poll info
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 14:50:44 -0800 (PST)

--- grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:
> So basically Bush voters were in a hurry to get back
> to work & didn't
> have time to answer the exit-poll questions at quite
> the same rate as
> Kerry voters? How would one control for that in this
> circumstance, if
> you're asking people "are you group A or group B?"
> but group A is more
> likely to answer the question than group B, at an
> inherently
> indeterminate rate? Follow people & look at their
> bumper stickers?

Bush voters were more in a hurry if they were exit
interviewed at poll sites with electronic voting?

The graphs showing no discrepancies at poll site
without electronic voting is the control group.

I think this is the data Il Rossi was looking for:
comparison of exit interviews results to votes counts
(the experimental results) at electronic and
non-electronic poll sites (the experimental and
control groups).

Re: the graphs. NC is shown as electronic voting. This
is not true statewide. We have an electronic
tabulation system statewide. But unless you live in a
county without electronic voting before 2002 and that
county was covered under the Voting Rights Act of
1965, your county did not get new electronic voting
machines. 27 NC counties which did not have electronic
voting before received electronic voting systems for
2004.

If someone really wants to make a mint and has some
startup capital, someone could buy the rights to the
no longer manufacturerd OpTech III paper ballot
counting systems used in Durham County, which is also
compliant with HAVA, and start making these things
again. These machines also produce paper receipts
(albeit only for the totals).

The NC State Election Information Management System
(SEIMS), is a whole 'nother question, however. It's
totally Windows/SQLServer from end to end. I assume we
know that because of the Patiot Act, every copy of
Windows XP in the world (except in China where the
government demands the source code) has a government
backdoor. The company that provides that backdoor code
is local to the Triangle. But there's absolutely
nothing standing between the NSA and manipulation of
the statewide vote *tabulation* system (as distinct
from the vote *collection* system). You could say I'm
making a conspiracy theory by stating that. I'm not
saying the NSA has used that backdoor, however. I'm
just saying, they have the capability, it's there,
it's unchecked, and nothing about it must be
judicially authorized or reported to any oversight.

3