ch-scene - Re: Oct. 22 - Save Ooh La Latte Nightlife!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Mary Anne Barckhoff <barckhoff AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Oct. 22 - Save Ooh La Latte Nightlife!
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 08:22:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hey, you're good at that skepticism thing!

Okay, so it's more than a rumor. Unless things shift to sway dealings
already under way.

James (co-owner and sound guy at OLL) did confirm with me that there were
things in the works and that they may stop doing shows as early as November
(which means potential cancellation of things already booked). He
mentioned factors such as having to pay staff and wanting to spend more time
with his own studio and that it's been a lot harder to keep it up than they
thought (which I assume to mean $$, but he didn't specify). I'm not privvy
specifics, but there is apparently a third party who is investing in the cafe
and is interested in keeping it as a coffeeshop but not as a nightclub.

It may or may not be a done deal, but I do know that it will be a great loss
to lose such a great venue for live music and other events!

Mary Anne

grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:
Hmm. Every time I've been there for a show with decent bands, there have
been a shitload of people there. Of course, a couple of those were Ms.
Films benefits, which meant there was someone other than the Ooh La
staff doing promotional work.

I suppose, since we're just talking "rumors," we probably don't have any
solid info as to why they might not want to keep having shows. Seems to
me that if you've got the space and the stage and the PA, you're not
risking much to open up & have some bands come & play, especially if one
or two shows a week are drawing upwards of 100 people.

Of course, maybe some of the shows that I *haven't* gone to haven't done
as well. Perhaps they should look into booking more bands that draw well?

Or maybe there's some wholly different factor at work here & maybe
someone who knows something concrete will share.

Ross

sorren AT mindspring.com wrote:

> I was there this weekend and there was a fair sized crowd. They said
> that was somewhat unusual and would be nice if it happened more
> often. Tehy sold out of PBR!!!! Yay for us! It was a great place to
> hang out. Durham really needs a club. It was much nicer on the
> inside than most clubs, I have to say, being as how it has to be
> presentable during the day, so it was very pleasant. Go see a show!
> It's cheaper than a movie and more fun!!! You can dance and flirt!!!
> Whee!!! Rachel
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Mary Anne Barckhoff
> Sent: Oct 19, 2004 10:41 AM To: RTP-area local
> music and culture Subject: Oct. 22 -
> Save Ooh La Latte Nightlife!
>
> Hey Rocker Grrrls and Boys,
>
> We have some good news and some bad news: The good news is, you can
> hear the fantabulous sounds of Viva la Venus and Little Miss Messy
> together at the Triangle's coolest venue, Ooh La Latte on Friday,
> October 22. The bad news is, there are rumors that Ooh La Latte may
> discontune their support of local bands and evening shows.
>
> Now, more than ever, it is important for you to show your support for
> local bands at this fantastic venue! Ooh La Latte serves coffee,
> tea, beer, desserts and sandwiches in a funky, spacious atmosphere
> with a big stage and great sound. Ooh La Latte has given Durham
> nightlife a much-needed shot in the arm, and we MUST SHOW OUR SUPPORT
> for it to continue!
>
> Little Miss Messy will start off the evening with their own brand of
> post-punk power pop, headed up by the divine vocals of Ms. Carlotta
> Valdez. Bringing it home will be Viva la Venus, as they serve it up
> with original rock morsels steeped in the hard rock sounds of the
> 70's, mixed with fresh infusions of 80's and 90's-style alternative
> pop, indie-rock, blues, and punk.
>
> You don't want to miss this show -- it is gonna be HOT! The show will
> begins at 9:00 PM on Friday October 22 and the venue is open to all
> ages.
>
> Ooh La Latte is located at 1116 Broad St. in Durham (near the corner
> of Broad St. & Club Blvd.). For more information, check out their
> website at http://oohlalatte.com or call 919-286-0650.
>
> For more information about the bands, visit their websites:
> http://www.vivalavenus.com http://www.littlemissmessy.net
>

> Viva la Venus website: http://www.vivalavenus.com Little Miss Messy
> website: http://www.littlemissmessy.net

Viva la Venus website: http://www.vivalavenus.com
Little Miss Messy website: http://www.littlemissmessy.net

The difference between excitement and fear is a matter of choice.